• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

digital voltmeter with hall effect ammeter

Austin Charger

Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
71chargerammetersensor.jpg'71chargervoltammeter.jpg

Digital voltmeter with hall effect ammeter. Pictures are of sensor placed on alternator output cable and meter under dash. I liked idea of an ammeter but not the factory setup. I run dual electric puller fans. The meter is branded "Bayite" and made in China so we will see how long it lasts. Values were confirmed with my Fluke VOM.

View attachment 1541220View attachment 1541221

Digital voltmeter with hall effect ammeter. Pictures are of sensor placed on alternator output cable and meter under dash. I liked idea of an ammeter but not the factory setup. I run dual electric puller fans. The meter is branded "Bayite" and made in China so we will see how long it lasts. Values were confirmed with my Fluke VOM.
Sounds like a excellent solution to the old exploding Mopar ammeter and bulk head connection issues.....the Hall effect sensor measures amps magnetically without contact.......now the "other wiring and ammeter experts (who shall remain nameless )" will find a reason to object......
BOB RENTON

Ah yes the Lorentz Force.

Been using those for the last few years as a non-contact current meter, but just for testing, not mounted in the vehicle. They are a good value, not expensive.
Last year I spent the money on a new multi-meter that has the current sensing clamp

Interesting...thanks. :thumbsup:

For those interested.... Amazon product ASIN B0BFJ5NV5L

I have used a couple of those for variable power supplies I have assembled. Bought them off E Bay. Make sure you get the ones for DC current.

20200124_204528.jpg

Sounds like a excellent solution to the old exploding Mopar ammeter and bulk head connection issues.....the Hall effect sensor measures amps magnetically without contact.......now the "other wiring and ammeter experts (who shall remain nameless )" will find a reason to object......
BOB RENTON
I’ll bite Bob, really? “exploding Mopar ammeters”, that’s a new one for me, they explode too? I know there are some that are convinced the original ammeters will spontaneously combust for no other reason than age, nothing to do with any external factors such as abuse and incorrectly placed loading.

Are you suggesting that the pictured Hall effect ammeter, placed where it is at the alternator output, replaces the function of the factory bi-directional ammeter designed to monitor, when correctly loaded and within design limits, the rate of battery charge/discharge current only. What value is it to monitor the by-passed alternator output only as it relates to real time charging system status. Again, looks more like another “idiot light” type solution placed where it is, voltmeter only will tell if its charging or not.

To come close to a “replacement” to the factory ammeter, it would need to be bi-directional and placed between the battery and the starter relay, assuming the pictured alternator by-pass wire and all load connections land at the starter relay.

I’ll bite Bob, really? “exploding Mopar ammeters”, that’s a new one for me, they explode too? I know there are some that are convinced the original ammeters will spontaneously combust for no other reason than age, nothing to do with any external factors such as abuse and incorrectly placed loading.

Are you suggesting that the pictured Hall effect ammeter, placed where it is at the alternator output, replaces the function of the factory bi-directional ammeter designed to monitor, when correctly loaded and within design limits, the rate of battery charge/discharge current only. What value is it to monitor the by-passed alternator output only as it relates to real time charging system status. Again, looks more like another “idiot light” type solution placed where it is, voltmeter only will tell if its charging or not.

To come close to a “replacement” to the factory ammeter, it would need to be bi-directional and placed between the battery and the starter relay, assuming the pictured alternator by-pass wire and all load connections land at the starter relay.
Being a Electrical engineer with design credentials, I am totally aware of how the original system works. There have been countess "experts" on this forum, who think they know that their fix is the ultimate solution and proclaim so....most of which are based on the "my buddies rule" without any substantial proof or calculations to show their arguments or validation. Research the subject for yourself to see just who are the "smoke blowers" and KNOW nothings.....
BOB RENTON

Did yours come with a shunt? What is the total amperage reading?

Being a Electrical engineer with design credentials, I am totally aware of how the original system works. There have been countess "experts" on this forum, who think they know that their fix is the ultimate solution and proclaim so....most of which are based on the "my buddies rule" without any substantial proof or calculations to show their arguments or validation. Research the subject for yourself to see just who are the "smoke blowers" and KNOW nothings.....
BOB RENTON
Any descriptions/explanations in that post would not have been directed at you. You've made your credentials quite clear many times.

Last edited:
If you want just volts and screw the amps, these cig lighter/USB meters work well. It will read amps when you plug in your cell phone but just what the phone is using.

cigarette lighter usb adapter.jpg2.jpg

cigarette lighter usb adapter.jpg

Did yours come with a shunt? What is the total amperage reading?
No shunt. Total capacity is 100A. Current flow direction is indicated with period after the last digit. In the picture volts are 14.9, amperage is 8.8 towards the starter relay.

Auto Transport Service
Back