• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dim instrument gauges 1972 charger

Carlisle Trippy

Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
can anyone help me with this one? my 72 charger ralley clusters gauge lights seem dim. I have replaced switch-replaced bulbs- dimmer is in high position. cant get this one?????? Please help Mopar gods!!

do they get brighter if the RPM is raised?

Nope ,however ive had others that fluctuate as rpm goes up and down so i know where u r going . Just seems to dim.

I believe there are two different number bulbs for the dash sockets. (Maybe 194 and 158, but that is just TRYING to remember...) Anyway, one of those is brighter than the other. Perhaps that could be the issue?? Research your bulbs and their numbers.

Check your ground. The rallye cluster has a ground wire that plugs in just above the voltage limiter and runs to a screw on the bottom left of the dash that can loosen up or get disconnected over time.

Check the voltage with a volt meter just so you know what you have.. like the others said check the ground.

Check your ground. The rallye cluster has a ground wire that plugs in just above the voltage limiter and runs to a screw on the bottom left of the dash that can loosen up or get disconnected over time.

Can u tell me where voltage limiter is?on this one

It's directly above the radio. Little square device. There is a spade above it where the screw holds it on for the ground wire.

Agree with ground and limiter and will add that there are at least four different wattage bulbs that fit the cluster sockets (and marker light sockets).

Compared to todays "dashes" I think the old stuff just looks dim. You can get green led's that keep that vintage green look but are much brighter.

Compared to todays "dashes" I think the old stuff just looks dim. You can get green led's that keep that vintage green look but are much brighter.

Cluster lenses are actually blue. The greenish shade ( not green color ) is made by the nature of the incandescent light being yellowish Going through the blue lense. If want to keep it on that way, somehow stocker look but brighter, warm light leds on 2500-3000K temp rate would be the correct way, not green.

While you are at it, go to RTE (Real Time Engineering) and buy their solid state voltage regulator limiter....that will brighten up the "picture" also and save any future meltdowns when the original contact one takes a dump. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back