• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dipstick tube question small block 340

plymouthman72

Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
I am trying without success to get my dipstick tube back into the block. I bought this block bare so I didn't think to check the tube hole to see if the old one had broken off in there. I am not sure what it's supposed to look like so I am asking if it looks like the old one is broken off in the hole. I have looked online but can't find what an empty hole is supposed to look like. I appreciate any help as I am at a loss.

20171127_112954.jpg
20171127_112958.jpg

It sure does look like another dipstick is broken off in there. At least on big blocks the hole is cast into the block (I know big blocks better).

How far off is your dipstick from fitting into the hole?
A. Not even close?
- dipstick piece already in the hole
- find one of those "reverse screw" EZ outs, try to thread it inside & pull it out with vise grips. Maybe put a magnet nearby to catch shavings.
- If all else fails, maybe "side load" a drill bit in there (or use a dremel bit) to cut your way through one side, pry it inwards with an ice pick or tiny screwdriver and see if you can pull it out. BETTER YET... use a punch of the right diameter, drive it down into the block & drop the oil pan to fish out the piece. It looks like your engine isn't installed, so that may be your fastest option & would generate the least amount of metal filings in the motor.
B. Starts, but won't go all the way in?
- Sand the leading edge of your dipstick tube. I had to do this on my aftermarket big block dipstick tube, almost the entire way (not last 1/8") up to the fat circular part at the bottom. Seems like the manufacturer didn't take into account the thickness that the chrome would add to the outer diameter of the tube.

Yes looks like there i an old dip stick broke off in there.

It was an old one broken off in there. Thank you all for your help and a special thanks to Justin for calling me and helping me through the process of getting it out. A screw extractor took it right out and the new one is in!

Auto Transport Service
Back