• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms - Nimes 1992 Live

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
A great rendition. It holds a special place for me, I used it for inspiration in a book I wrote as a memoir to my Dad. My Dad was always my anchor, more than my Dad and always more than a best friend, I'm sure lots of folks here can relate. He always made time on the weekends to go fishing and hunting with me and when he was busy working weekend overtime, he always left me a few bucks so I could go off on my own hunting or fishing; enough to cover bait, ammo and gas., he was the best, not perfect but perfect enough for me in every way. I know I was lucky is this regard, I can only hope that there were other Dad's who did what they could - it's not easy, I know that.

I have a few publishers copies of 'A Man and his Maniac; the Bunkie Story' and 'Dad, Dog and Fish' and I'd be happy to send them out at no charge. 'Dad, Dog and Fish' has the 'A Man and His Maniac; the Bunkie Story' as the centerpiece. I wrote 'A Man and His Maniac' as a test case before I wrote the memoir 'Dad, Dog and Fish' to see if my rough style of story telling would go over well. It did, so I finished the memoir as a tribute to my Dad. Look the books up on B&N and Amazon ( I think I've seen a few copies on eBay as well) if you want more info.

Anyway if anyone is interested, I'll get what I have left out.

Chuck (snook)

My Dad was in the USN stationed on the USS Bremerton CA130 (see attached pic) as a Gunners Mate in the Korean War from 1950-1954. He also served on the USS Winston, a light cruiser during that time but the majority of his service was on the Bremerton. He used to run the marines to the beach in landing craft as a Bosun's mate, pretty hairy but he never talked about it. I went in the USN in 1977 and was selected for submarine service (I voluntereed and do not regret that decision in the least, we were and still are family, you might say forever brothers in arms).

My Dad had no idea that I had enlisted until I asked him to drop me off at the Downey California recruiting office. Whe he realized where he was dropping me off, he looked over at me and said 'Your mother is going to give me hell over this'. He had never tried to influence me one way or the other and I know that Mom was not going to be happy about it. The attached picture always influenced me and I felt that at one point in my life that I wanted to pay back the country I was born in - yeah, I know I was pretty naive but at this point in my life I wouldn't change a thing. The funny part was myself and two other friends had agreed to do it together but you guessed it, I was the only one to show up.

Anyway, I went in and spent 6 years in the submarine service on fast attcks and ballistic missile boats and had a blast and great experiences for the most parts but To be honest, there were some pretty stressful and terrifying experiences in there as well. I wouldn't change a thing and it polarized my life and beliefs.

That's all for now.

Chuck (snook)

20221115_201918.jpg

I would come home on leave and my Dad (a man of few words at the best) would have a bottle of Wild Turkey and two glasses on the kitchen table. We'd sit there for hours without saying a word and do shots. Every once in a while he would tell about his experiences during the War and I'd swap sub stories with him. Mom and Sis would stay clear during these times, they understood the dynamic. I miss him everyday.

Chuck (snook)

I would come home on leave and my Dad (a man of few words at the best) would have a bottle of Wild Turkey and two glasses on the kitchen table. We'd sit there for hours without saying a word and do shots. Every once in a while he would tell about his experiences during the War and I'd swap sub stories with him. Mom and Sis would stay clear during these times, they understood the dynamic. I miss him everyday.

Chuck (snook)
Hey Chuck, just a shoutout from one bubblehead to another. John Marshall ssbn 611. 3 out of my 4 years served on board. Still keep in touch with 3 shipmates. 1966-1970.

Hey Ray, USS Queenfish SSN-651 (1979-1983) and USS John Adams SSBN-620 Blue (1977- 1979). Lost track of my shipmates but I know that if I ever called for them to this day, they'd be there for me.

Chuck (snook)

"Awesome", watched the video.. My daddy was the same way. Must be a USN thing (just a wonderful man). He was stationed in Lakehurst, New Jersey airship squadron. (Blimps), young folks today would have no idea, I've still got his knife that was he could use, (just in case you got caught in the tagline) to cut you loose.
Thank God for these men. God Bless you. :usflag:

A great rendition. It holds a special place for me, I used it for inspiration in a book I wrote as a memoir to my Dad. My Dad was always my anchor, more than my Dad and always more than a best friend, I'm sure lots of folks here can relate. He always made time on the weekends to go fishing and hunting with me and when he was busy working weekend overtime, he always left me a few bucks so I could go off on my own hunting or fishing; enough to cover bait, ammo and gas., he was the best, not perfect but perfect enough for me in every way. I know I was lucky is this regard, I can only hope that there were other Dad's who did what they could - it's not easy, I know that.

I have a few publishers copies of 'A Man and his Maniac; the Bunkie Story' and 'Dad, Dog and Fish' and I'd be happy to send them out at no charge. 'Dad, Dog and Fish' has the 'A Man and His Maniac; the Bunkie Story' as the centerpiece. I wrote 'A Man and His Maniac' as a test case before I wrote the memoir 'Dad, Dog and Fish' to see if my rough style of story telling would go over well. It did, so I finished the memoir as a tribute to my Dad. Look the books up on B&N and Amazon ( I think I've seen a few copies on eBay as well) if you want more info.

Anyway if anyone is interested, I'll get what I have left out.

Chuck (snook)

The Lyrics . . .

0000.jpg

I like'd Dire Straits

almost as much as I like'd Def Leppard

good tunes

Man I remember blasting down the road in my 340 4spd Demon jamming to Dire straits

Man I remember blasting down the road in my 340 4spd Demon jamming to Dire straits
yep the early 90's were great times for me too
(92 I'd have been 33, had the world by the tail, with my hair on fire)
It was a better time in the world too

The video to the song is amazing.

You knew...Yeah I helped him build the wall...He was my partner...you understand....you understand....Yeah. Best line to my favorite Miami Vice episode. I bought the CD after watching this episode.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back