• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DMT rebuild kit stratovent foam placement on non AC 1971-74 heater box

NashVegas

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
The instructions say to go by existing foam placement, but the foam in mine was long gone. Picture shows the remaining foam in the kit, but I'm not sure where all the pieces go. It's labeled stratovent. It's the two-piece foot/defrost vent at the left side of the heater box. All the rest of the foam locations were obvious. This is my first post, but I used this site to get my car running over the past year and raced it in the last SCCA event of the season. Thanks for all the help.

PXL_20231216_234037917.jpg

Unbolt the door. Take the pieces and trial fit them on the door. The gaskets go on opposite sides of the flapper. You should be able to figure it out by the way they seal when switching from floor to defrost.

Still don't get the two stratovent foam pieces, the one with the small inside cutout and the other with the U shape. They are smaller than the piece they appear to go on. The rest of the foam bits overlap and attach on all four sides of the other plates.

Still don't get the two stratovent foam pieces, the one with the small inside cutout and the other with the U shape. They are smaller than the piece they appear to go on. The rest of the foam bits overlap and attach on all four sides of the other plates.
Best thing might be to call Jim or one of the staff and ask. Or email. You might have some unneeded pieces. they are very good people to work with.

Best thing might be to call Jim or one of the staff and ask. Or email. You might have some unneeded pieces. they are very good people to work with.
Got a very quick reply from DMT, looks like these are uncommon:

"I never had a stratovent box. I had like 3 people in 15 years ask for foams. Finally had one guy that gave me dimensions for the foams he needed so thought I'd add them to the kits. Maybe I shouldn't have. No good deed goes unpunished :)"

The metal piece in the top right corner, the two pieces of foam below it goes on it, one on each side, and then bolts on piece on the upper right. Just got through doing mine. If you have to drill the rivets out, I have some, they are 9/64 by 1/4" semi tubular rivets, kind of hard to find.

Auto Transport Service
Back