• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do i have the wrong swaybar? (72 charger)

carsonp

Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
I bought this along with all poly bushings (all PST) for my 72 charger probably about a year ago and I now have all the bushings installed, but I cant snake the sway bar through the K member :eusa_think:

Now I fear I have the wrong sway bar. Any experst here able to confirm? And then point me in the right direction?

From the numbers it appears to be the correct application. The car has to be lifted a good bit in the front to get the bar through the k member.

The bend in the middle might be to allow clearance inside the K member. I have a custom fit 1 1/4" bar in my 70 Charger. Mine is straight across the middle and rubs the K member. Our 2 cars use the same K member, lower control arms and sway bar design. As Red 72 wrote, to install you do need to have the front end up on the tallest & safest jack stands you can find. (Or a car lift)

It's a royal PITA.

You have to rotate it nearly 360 degrees at some points...

...and I had to remove a brake rotor on the side I was installing from.

Alright guys... in the past there have been instances where I thought something impossible and then come to realize I was just approaching it wrong... but I think this is impossible :eek: Ive got it as high as I can and I have the rotor off and I still cant get the thing through.

someone is going to have to hold my hand through this I guess. Do you start with the arms facing toward the front or the back?

I took a quick peek at their catalog, that's the problem. The 596 will not fit, the dip in the middle of the sway bar indicates it is for an under the k-frame mounting, like a 68-70 B-body. The correct number is 595 which fits E-bodies (same front suspension as a 71-72 Bs).

I took a quick peek at their catalog, that's the problem. The 596 will not fit, the dip in the middle of the sway bar indicates it is for an under the k-frame mounting, like a 68-70 B-body. The correct number is 595 which fits E-bodies (same front suspension as a 71-72 Bs).

The instructions marked 596 say to "pass the bar through the opening in the K member"

?

You should have stated 66-69 B body. The 70 B body K member fits and interchanges from 70-72 B and 70-74 E.

Attachments

• DSCN1112.jpg
    DSCN1112.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 1-18 H.jpg
    1-18 H.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 1-18 J.jpg
    1-18 J.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 1-18 11.jpg
    1-18 11.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 247
IIRC, the arms were toward the front to get started. It does take some patience to get it worked through. As YY1 stated, the bar will have to be rotated a lot, which is why the car needs to be on a lift or have the front jacked up pretty high. I started from the driver side, with the tire removed. I seem to remember having to put a floor jack under the LCA and lift up slightly to get more room. I checked the application of the bar in the photos and both Jegs and Summit show that the 596 bar is the correct application.

When did they switch from LCA tabs to strut rod clamps?

I bought this along with all poly bushings (all PST) for my 72 charger probably about a year ago and I now have all the bushings installed, but I cant snake the sway bar through the K member :eusa_think:

Now I fear I have the wrong sway bar. Any experst here able to confirm? And then point me in the right direction?

If you are still having issues please PM me.

Thanks
James

Tubular?
Nah...I'd go with the solid 1 1/4" bar from Firm Feel.

Auto Transport Service
Back