do I need special paint for the engine compartment W1 alpine white

Exterior Body, Paint, Trim, Chrome

1. CRAIGXLH1

CRAIGXLH1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:56 AM
    Hi group
    do I need special paint for the engine compartment W1 alpine white for 1969 GTX. I have the engine out,
    I want to repaint the engine compartment it was all crack up I already taking down to bare metal in the engine compartment. thanks for any help
    CRAIG

2. 1967coronet

1967coronet FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:56 AM
    Hi craig, once stripped use a good grease and wax remover after a good wash with castrol super clean or simular.
    Use a decent epoxy primer/sealer for white color stick with a grey sealer.
    ppg/detron dp 50 and 402 activator. you can reduce this if needed simular to 2 - 1 - 1/2 the 1/2 being a reducer
    If your car has a base clear job or is going to that is what I would use under hood. If its single stage likewise.
    You do not need a special paint under hood.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • R413

R413 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:56 PM
      Get rid of any grease and oil FIRST! Super clean is great for this. Pressure wash, or a scrub brush. Then wire wheel or grind rust, then use DX330 wax and grease remover before sanding or paint stripping.

Agree with above post. Use a catalyze automotive paint, no rattle cans.

• Like Like x 2
      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • zyzzyx

zyzzyx FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        12:56 AM
        DSCF8581.JPG 20120317_133434.jpg P6110103.JPG If you are going all bare metal, the first thing you want to do is go to Home Depot and buy a gallon of
        Kleen-Strip Concrete and metal prep. It's Phosphoric acid. Buy a Zep 1 quart spray bottle and apply it
        according to directions. When done right, the sheet metal will have a "Rainbow Look" and will then be
        ready for Epoxy primer. This stuff etches rust also, so it'll do the job. Just make sure you use a good
        quality Nitrile gloves and safety glasses.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
        • Like Like x 3
        • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.