• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I want a 2010 HD Sporty 1200?

Bike used to be very reliable, I would go up there every few months and it would light right off ss long as the battery wss charged...and no oil leaks!

For a while we had his/hers Intruders. 1400 and 800.

Except for the way too low 5th, the 800 was much more fun.

Wife told me she liked riding on the back much better than piloting her self.

...plus I hear women get an "extra special" experience with that famous Harley not so smooth idle and running characteristic.

Are you an organ donor?

A good friend of mine just got out of the ICU. Sunday afternoon he piled his sportster up. Fractures to tge face and skull broken ribs. Swerved to avoid a car who had drifted into his lane and sailed into a ravine. Luckily he was in town only doing 35 or so and large tree stopped him.

Nothing a against motorcycles. I've ridden dirtbikes much my life. Riding motorcycles out on the open road is getting increasingly dangerous though.
I've hit several deer with vehicles, can't imagine what they would have done had I been on a bike.

Anytime I hear somebody ask about buying a bike, I ask them if they're an organ donor.

Thats not true any more since the engines are rubber mounted.

Are you an organ donor?

A good friend of mine just got out of the ICU. Sunday afternoon he piled his sportster up. Fractures to tge face and skull broken ribs. Swerved to avoid a car who had drifted into his lane and sailed into a ravine. Luckily he was in town only doing 35 or so and large tree stopped him.

Nothing a against motorcycles. I've ridden dirtbikes much my life. Riding motorcycles out on the open road is getting increasingly dangerous though.
I've hit several deer with vehicles, can't imagine what they would have done had I been on a bike.

Anytime I hear somebody ask about buying a bike, I ask them if they're an organ donor.
Organs are no good mushed up, I wouldn't want an organ from someone who went from 100 to 0 mph in A few feet

Are you an organ donor?

Organs are no good mushed up, I wouldn't want an organ from someone who went from 100 to 0 mph in A few feet

Extreme situational awareness is required, and like chess, thinking several moves ahead is advantageous.

It almost spoils the ride.

Is it better to hit the culvert, or the tree?

is it better to swerve across the center line, or into the ravine?

If this asshole pulls out in front of me, is that other car going to cut off my escape route?

If the ruck 500 feet ahead coming the other way crosses the center line, do I have enough room to squeeze between the mailbox and the guy wire?

etc

I have owned both, If your taller the sportys a little more cramped unless you put forward controls on them (I'm 5 11). The sport is lighter therefore gets buffeted around in the wind more. Sporty will get better mpg. You should rent one for a day to ride before you make your purchase, should be a easy task in Florida. I was referring to pre EFI models when I said 5-6K. I wouldn't want EFI myself. I can rebuild a carb in about a hour. EFI you'll have to take it to your dealer at 100$ + a hour for repair.

In FL with somewhat limited riding due to rain, and the humidity that deteriorates anything foam or rubber, I was rebuilding mine twice a year or more, one was only a minor pain, but the other was an incredible pain.

The EFI on my scooter has been trouble free as has my 165,000 mile Dakota and my 135,000 mile P/T. Even with E10.

I have owned both, If your taller the sportys a little more cramped unless you put forward controls on them (I'm 5 11). The sport is lighter therefore gets buffeted around in the wind more. Sporty will get better mpg. You should rent one for a day to ride before you make your purchase, should be a easy task in Florida. I was referring to pre EFI models when I said 5-6K. I wouldn't want EFI myself. I can rebuild a carb in about a hour. EFI you'll have to take it to your dealer at 100$ + a hour for repair.
My sporty is efi and I never take it to the shop, it's easy changing the fuel pump or injectors in the rare chance they should fail

So, what do you like or not like about it compared to others you've had?

You also must learn to put your ankles on the forward controls/hiway pegs. And you dont wave at fellow riders. You point the index and middle fingers downward at the 7-8 o'clock position. And your handlebars must be higher than your shoulders so your armpits catch bugs.

Hey, Madman. Where in MS are you?

f1.png
b2.png
r1.png
82.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg
img2.jpg
img2.jpg
silverlight.jpg
Type-6-Red.jpg
phantom.jpg
Type-6-light.jpg
Green.jpg

Last edited:
So, what do you like or not like about it compared to others you've had?
My opinion about the sportster.
it's cheap (the bike and the parts compared to the big harleys), it's reliable(hard to kill damn near bulletproof), parts availability ( most hardware and a lot of parts on it are standard stuff that you can pick up at any auto, tractor, and sometimes hardware stores), aftermarket support (it's the ar15 or jeep of the motorcycle relm), performance (it's not great at anything but ok at everything) you can flat track it, scramble or hare run it, street track it or if you want you can even ramp over 20 school buses with it
90009a8ea25c6a5149c5a02328be1725.jpg
index.jpg
TR3_3778_sized.jpg
dd11-1.jpg

It's the bike that can do it all and does it with a 60year old design

You also must learn to put your ankles on the forward controls/hiway pegs. And you dont wave at fellow riders. You point the index and middle fingers downward at the 7-8 o'clock position. And your handlebars must be higher than your shoulders so your armpits catch bugs.

Hey, Madman. Where in MS are you?
Middle of no were MS in between Natchez and Vicksburg

I had a bran new 02 Sportster Custom 1200. It was very easy to handle. I did blow a head gasket trying to keep up with the Ninja's. My fault. Only you can decide. I've had them all. I'm on my 21st. motorcycle since I was 13. This one I customized for me. I love it. It's an 05 Wide Glide.
20170607_172500-1-1.jpg

Ok. My son lives on the other side of the state near New Hope/Columbus. Not many old Mopes there....except I know of a 73 Charger right down the street from him. And a 66 Belv II and 65 Sport Fury. If I only had a big shop there....

Ok. My son lives on the other side of the state near New Hope/Columbus. Not many old Mopes there....except I know of a 73 Charger right down the street from him. And a 66 Belv II and 65 Sport Fury. If I only had a big shop there....
My mom's side of the family is from that area. That's where most of the mopars in the state are for some reason in the ne side, more so around tupelo

Here's my opinion : ride one & decide for yourself!

I bought a 2006 883 brand new when the 2007 were on the floor. I picked mine because it was the last of the carbs & I knew i would want to convert it later.That worked for app. 8,000 miles. I built a stage 3 engine for it. The bike currently has over 25,000 hard miles on it! I beat this bike constantly like it owes me money. Rarely do i not run it over triple digits on each ride. This bike has been nothing but reliable.

The power to weight ratio of a sportster kicks the big twins ***. All day everyday. The engine & trans are a solid unit. They ability to purchase them for little money.

As long as you are not too big of a human , i cant see why you would try one out.
Louis

Auto Transport Service
Back