• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do these drum shoes look correct ?

Canadian1968

Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
The car is 68 charger r/t with the original bendix front disc rear drum setup. EVER since I got the car back on the road the braking has been inconsistent. Lower speed its fine but at higher speed I get "shake " I guess I would call it. Sometimes worse than others. I'm pretty sure it's not the fronts as in don't really feel it threw the steering wheel .

I took the back drums off and just had a look around. I noticed that the brake shoe is not contacting on the entire shoes especially the one to the rear of the vehicle. It did look like some chatter marks on shoes as well.

I have another set of brand new shoes in the basement. I noticed holding them up that the pad on the new set sits differently on the shoe itself. In the picture you can see the pad of the front shoe sits up rather high almost the same as the rear. The new set I have the pad sits much lower, which brings the pad down lower in the circle.
Wondering if this would cause any problems ? Maybe I should have the drums turned ? Thoughts ?

20220618_143752.jpg

20220618_143737.jpg

I'd check your drums for out of round first.

A quick check would be with the drums and wheels installed, turn the wheel/tire and hear if the shoes touch and then don't.

Was told many years ago short to the front long to the rear. They look correctly installed. Do the shoes contact the anchor pin? If so have the drums checked if still in spec and turn them. Get new shoes they are cheap enough. If they dont hit the pin look at the parking brake for sticking, adjustment Ect. Lube the backing plates when apart and look to see their not worn out where the shoe rides. Hope this helps.

Looks to be installed properly to me. My guess is the drums are out of round and need to be turned or replaced. Also, just because you don't feel it on the steering wheel, your front rotors could be warped some causing the shake when you put the brakes on. I would look into getting them turned as well if you still have shake after getting the rears turned.

Back in the day, the brake shop/supplier would "arc" the shoes to match the diameter of the drum. This evened out the contact pattern. Don't know if anyone does that today. That process made a big difference. Turning the drums will also give a good idea if they are out of round.

Found a place to get them turned... will report back with results !

Well grabbed the drums after work. Shop told me, the driver side turned great but passenger side was only hitting half the drum on the first pass. It still cleaned up nicely, looking forward to getting then back on and going for spin!

Auto Transport Service
Back