• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do Torqueflites in 1962 B Bodies have a "Park"?

Big Bad Dad

Local time
3:10 PM
Reaction score
Another thread on early cars got me to thinking. I know my 63 Fury w/ pushbuttons had a park lever. I had a 62 D 100 pickup that did not have park. It had buttons, but no park lever. It had a big drum on the rear of the trans that functioned as a parking brake. I'm pretty sure my Dad's 62 Chrysler Newport was the same, but that car has been gone for 45 years.. Anyway, I got to wondering about the 62 B Bodies. My ONLY experience in one was a slant 6/ 3 on tree a buddy drove in high school.

Yup - lever on the left side of dash, like the '63s. Pull down for Park.

A parking lock was not provided until the advent of the aluminum-case Torqueflites in 1960 (standard-duty A-904) and 1962 (heavy-duty A-727), at which point a lever was added adjacent to the pushbuttons: Moving the lever to the "park" position placed the car into neutral and engaged a lock pawl on the transmission's output shaft. Moving the park lever out of "park" position unlocked the shift buttons so that a driving range could be selected. The buttons were replaced by conventional steering column- or floor-mounted shift levers in all automatic Chrysler-built vehicles for the 1965 model year, though floor levers were available in certain sporty 1964 models.

As according to Wikepedia, if you can believe them (Probably taken from Allpar?)

I found it interesting that my luxurious 1962 Imperial, with I drove in the early 90s, had a push button automatic with no park setting. The car came from the factory with a beveled chock block, which was painted black to match the jack and tire changing tools.

Yup - lever on the left side of dash, like the '63s. Pull down for Park.

Unless you have a Dodge...
Screenshot_20230207_214553_Gallery.jpg

The '62 Chrysler and Imperial retained the parking brake drum on the tail shaft. You had to remember to use the parking brake pedal instead of using a park lever as in other '62's. I can not fathom a reason for that.

The '62 Chrysler and Imperial retained the parking brake drum on the tail shaft. You had to remember to use the parking brake pedal instead of using a park lever as in other '62's. I can not fathom a reason for that.
My 62 Dodge pickup that I referred to in the original post had a handbrake lever under the dash that you had to pull. It had a handle that could be twisted to tighten up the cable. I have seen identical looking levers on old fork lifts.

I have an American and a Canadian 62 Plymouth.They both have a park lever mounted beside the push buttons. It’s a separate lever attached to the transmission park pawl.

Transition year...

I started driving in a "59" Fury with no park lever and the parking brake was worn out (most likely from being left on while driving). Carried a brick to throw behind the tire so it wouldn't run away.

My 58 has the brake drum on the tailshaft for park, and it still works.
I don't like concept, but it holds the car, although I wouldn't leave it on a hill of any kind.

Fun fact, to start it you push the neutral button.

Auto Transport Service
Back