• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you carry a pocket knife ?

Microtech OTF. Only reason I check a bag when I fly. I feel naked without it.
image.jpg

Years ago, I worked for a company (Clevite) that supplied powdered metal parts to the automotive industry. They had a well equipped tool room that produced and repaired the tooling required to produce the production parts. I remember one of he older toolmakers/machinists there asked me if I had a pocket knife. I replied that I did not. His response was that I was not a real MAN unless I carried one. I thought it was a curious comment.

Ever since I was a Boy Scout I carried one. The only time I don't is when flying; can't get through security! Everyone knows you can easily hijack a jet airliner using one, LOL.:eek: In fact mine is a Leatherman as well! :D

Same

As a youngster I occasionally would have one on me. Fast forward to 1987. This is one of those life events that is burned into my memory.

I am a young engineering student at UW Platteville. First class of the semester a curly gray haired cantankerous looking professor (Edward O. Busby, never forgot his name) walks into the classroom and firmly sets his stack of class material on the front desk. He slowly surveys the student body without saying a word. It was an awkward silence to say the least.

He starts his syllabus by reaching into his right front pocket and pulls out a pocket knife displaying it to the room. He then speaks the words I have never forgotten, "First lesson; Every real engineer always carries a knife".

From that day forward, I have had a knife in my possession. It didn't take long to graduate to a Leatherman. Current edition is a BLAST as it has enough tools to address many issues and is not so big/heavy it still fits in your front pants pocket easily.

It has been 35 years since that day and I relay this message to the younger generation of engineers, especially when they ask if I have a knife..... :D:D

D

Leatherman BLAST.jpg

As a youngster I occasionally would have one on me. Fast forward to 1987. This is one of those life events that is burned into my memory.

I am a young engineering student at UW Platteville. First class of the semester a curly gray haired cantankerous looking professor (Edward O. Busby, never forgot his name) walks into the classroom and firmly sets his stack of class material on the front desk. He slowly surveys the student body without saying a word. It was an awkward silence to say the least.

He starts his syllabus by reaching into his right front pocket and pulls out a pocket knife displaying it to the room. He then speaks the words I have never forgotten, "First lesson; Every real engineer always carries a knife".

From that day forward, I have had a knife in my possession. It didn't take long to graduate to a Leatherman. Current edition is a BLAST as it has enough tools to address many issues and is not so big/heavy it still fits in your front pants pocket easily.

It has been 35 years since that day and I relay this message to the younger generation of engineers, especially when they ask if I have a knife..... :D:D

D

View attachment 1240455
A fellow engineer salutes you. I've carried
this knife in my pocket for 50 years. Broken
tip, but still sharp as a razor. Broke the tip
trying to turn a screw.
20220215_012241.jpg

I've carried one most of my life, over the years I've lost a few. It's amazing how much time (days) a guy will spend searching for that lost pocketknife thats probably worth 5 bucks, lol.

I like a smaller Swiss Army knife. Need the tweezers as I get a lot of splinters.
Easy to sharpen, holds an edge pretty well.
Not a lock back, so that kind of sucks.

A guy sells these used a gun shows for about 10 bucks a piece. At least he did a few years ago.

I usually buy a couple at time. But if I do I always lose the first one in a few weeks, then have the second one for years.

IMG_20220215_091655234.jpg

I know where I got my knife obsession.
Thank you grandpa. These were some that I got from him. My uncle says he has a shoe box full of more knives for me.

842B7B82-269E-49A4-BDED-F5B596C07310.jpeg 294862F7-0C47-4ADA-8E27-01C04F30EED3.jpeg

Current piece. It seems to fall out of my pocket when i sit down. Usually find it under pickup seat or recliner.

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back