• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you prefer 50 year old OEM or new repro switches?

It's all I've done with Fred the GTX over these years - find and use "vintage" but new in box parts for whatever it
is I'm doing to him at the time.
Heck, it adds to the fun of the hobby for me, the hunt for said parts....not to mention, they're SO much better
than anything new/new! :thumbsup:

NOS all the way if you can. The only possible exceptions are rubber or vinyl stuff, but even some of that is useable.

I also agree with the cheap overseas stuff. It's hard to find good replacements sometimes. Do we have a vendors list that can refurbish various electrical components? I know we have Halifax for distributors. What are some of the others that you all have had good luck with?

My dimmer switch really just needed to have the contacts cleaned well. It wasn't made to come apart, but I gently pried up on the metal frame and got it apart.

I rebuilt the dimmer switch on the Coronet. Same thing as you, mainly just needed a good cleaning.
What did you guys use for a cleaner? I've heard Alcohol... Vinegar... Baking Soda... Acetone. I'll be taking my dimmer apart some time this week. (68 Coronet)

Just as an FYI for those following this. My old boss from the speed shop/parts store is going to have me inventory/catalog the remaining parts stock from the two stores he closed down in the mid to late 90's. He said maybe May to start the job as he needs to deal with his oat hay harvest before hand. There will be all sorts of stuff for our rides including lesser quality vehicles[blue oval, gm, imports]. I'm on the hunt myself for the same parts for my car. I told him what the state of the hobby is right now with the low quality crap that we're stuck with and that his efforts need to be focused there to sell the inventory. So as things develop and I get a list of what he has, I recommended he get a website going telling about the history of the store with a general description of what's available. From there people will need to tell him or me what they are after with information of vehicle supplied by the customer. He'll need to set up some sort of payment deal, shipping etc etc.
When I worked for him, 80-86, he carried hard parts like hoses/belts/gaskets/fuel pumps/water pumps/ignition and electrical/suspension parts etc like a regular store. And the fun stuff from Earls/Carter/Edelbrock/Norris/Hank The Crank/Eagle headers/Hedman headers/a massive amount of Holley stuff beyond basic gaskets and jets, Carter rods and jets/Rochester parts and goes on from there. It was geahead nirvana for me. BUT...I don't know what he has left. So news as it happens

Almost forgot. This stuff is pre China/Taiwan unless I discover otherwise.

Just as an FYI for those following this. My old boss from the speed shop/parts store is going to have me inventory/catalog the remaining parts stock from the two stores he closed down in the mid to late 90's. He said maybe May to start the job as he needs to deal with his oat hay harvest before hand. There will be all sorts of stuff for our rides including lesser quality vehicles[blue oval, gm, imports]. I'm on the hunt myself for the same parts for my car. I told him what the state of the hobby is right now with the low quality crap that we're stuck with and that his efforts need to be focused there to sell the inventory. So as things develop and I get a list of what he has, I recommended he get a website going telling about the history of the store with a general description of what's available. From there people will need to tell him or me what they are after with information of vehicle supplied by the customer. He'll need to set up some sort of payment deal, shipping etc etc.
When I worked for him, 80-86, he carried hard parts like hoses/belts/gaskets/fuel pumps/water pumps/ignition and electrical/suspension parts etc like a regular store. And the fun stuff from Earls/Carter/Edelbrock/Norris/Hank The Crank/Eagle headers/Hedman headers/a massive amount of Holley stuff beyond basic gaskets and jets, Carter rods and jets/Rochester parts and goes on from there. It was geahead nirvana for me. BUT...I don't know what he has left. So news as it happens
Interested in carb parts, should be quite a job to get it inventoried.

Went thru 3 Classic industries ts switches in 2 years. They warranted them but I still had to keep installing them. Got one from http://www.danielsternlighting.com and it's been in there for over 6 years. And it gets driven like 1500 miles a year.
Daniel is the man when it comes to Mopar electrical; he's a regular over on FABO.
Devin Duke is also a long-time Mopar electrician that rebuilds dimmer switches. I haven't talked to him in years but my last contact info on him was [email protected]; 530-520-7427.

Auto Transport Service
Back