• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anybody make a vented gas cap?

69redrunner

Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
So the other day I fill up the gas tank on the Roadrunner, get home and park in the driveway for a few minutes...then I notice a fuel smell and see gas dripping onto the blacktop. It was being pushed out the vent tube on the top of the tank. I loosened tha gas cap to relieve the pressure and it stopped leaking.

So now the question becomes...Does anybody know of a "vented" gas cap for the 69 Roadrunner?
Or, any other remedy for this?

It sure did a number on my blacktop..:angryfire:

first..do not fill up yer car on a sunny day and then just take it home and park it. The heat and sloshing around inside cause the gasoline to expand, and do exactly what happened to you

second...take yer gas cap off and look at the underside of it.....is there a little hole in the center? If so, it's vented.....which means if you are driving the car and you are using gas out of the tank...air is let back in so fuel pump will not create a vacuum....the gas cap is a one way valve..it will let air in, but will not let gas out

Gas cap is labelled "not vented - open slowly to release pressure"

I was thinking if I could find a vented cap the pressure would have more than one place to go..and possibly keep from pushing raw fuel out the vent tube @ the top of the tank.

You should be able to get a vented gas cap at any auto parts store.

Gas cap is labelled "not vented - open slowly to release pressure"

I was thinking if I could find a vented cap the pressure would have more than one place to go..and possibly keep from pushing raw fuel out the vent tube @ the top of the tank.

if yer cap is not vented...that's why the tube is there..to let air back in..getting a vented cap will make no difference

What do these cars want for a cap? Mine says non vented but the tank has 2 vents..
Do you/I need a vented or non vented cap ?

I searched ebay, stant, etc for a vented cap and found nothing for the 69's.
I don't want to have to worry about fuel being pushed out the vent when the tank is full or near full on warm days. That is why I'd use a vented cap if I could find one. Seems that right now the only way out is the vent tube.

that's the way it's supposed to be....a vented cap will do nothing for your expanding fuel issue after fill up.....just don't fill it up all the way and then just park it....

I had the same problem on my 69 RR and replaced the old non vented cap with a brand new non vented cap and everything works fine, the seal on the old cap was worn and allowing air in just get a new non vented replacement and let the system work the way its supposed to.

I had the same problem on my 69 RR and replaced the old non vented cap with a brand new non vented cap and everything works fine, the seal on the old cap was worn and allowing air in just get a new non vented replacement and let the system work the way its supposed to.

It's worth a try, Thanks.

Got a 68 Coronet - same deal. My cap is under license plate, so a vented cap would leak there ALL the time. Let the vents work and don't fill it and park in sun.

So the capon the left is supposed to be vented and the one on the right seems to be. I have an aftermarket tank and a sniper efi system.supply and return lines and a vent line out the tank. After a drive the tank hand more pressure than ever. And still bubbloup the vent line. The cap on the right I’m gonna try and see. But for years I can’t get it to stop purging gas under pressure. And that’s with the cap on the left as a “vaunted cap” and thoughts…

71320545822__90F4C981-5747-4A39-BB48-2D22DEFF8F0D.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back