• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know?

1STMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been doing some extensive reading/research
on the actual ZDDP requirements (for example:
a 1968 440 in stock form). Higher spring rates,
via drag racers's engines benefit from higher
levels, as well as breakins.
Too much ZDDP in your oil turns acidic
promoting spalling. Too little creates the
same problem. Those that run a specific
oil, then an additive, a question;
What would you assume the ppm of ZDDP
would be in your oil after doing so?
Those that manufacture the additives should
know that level when their product is added
to 5 quarts of oil. I can find no data to that
effect.
I realize this subject has been literally beat to
death here. Many can attest to the longevity
of their engines given their preferred methods
of application, but all cars are not driven equally.

Last edited:
It's actually easy to calculate....but you need to know the % ZDDP in the additive and the specific gravity of that additive. It's math from there. ZDDP plus has a specific gravity of 0.990, but it's Safety Data Sheet doesn't list the % ZDDP, so you'd have to measure that in a laboratory to answer your question.

Interesting question. You have my attention as I run a solid cam in one and the others are all flat tappet.

You can buy the oil with the additives in it.
Me? I just add a bottle of sauce with the oil change, and start worrying about other things.

Interesting question. You have my attention as I run a solid cam in one and the others are all flat tappet.
Do you mean hydraulic? Solid LIFTERS can be flat or roller, just as rollers.

Does anyone know? yes the folks that make the correct oil for old cars.

Buy the right oil and forget any additives. I’m not a chemist, but they are.

Joe Gibbs Driven racing oil
Brad Penn. penn grade
Valvoline VR1
Redline

Driven is what I use, never a flat cam / lifter problem, or a fuel pump pushrod problem. They have holiday sales also. Was 15% off last month.

https://drivenracingoil.com/c-1389462-shop-by-product-hot-rod-engine-oils.html

Last edited:
The last article I read with actual lab test data showed ZDDP levels varied quite a bit with the "high zinc" oils. I've run Valvoline VR1, Lucas Racing Only, and Brad Penn/Penn Grade with my solid flat tappet cams during the last ten years. They all seem fine. Though IIRC the lab tests showed a variety of ZDDP levels for each of those.

oilpenngrade 002.JPG

What oil are you adding ZDDP into? Off the shelf oil formulated for late model cars. It has too much detergent and this won’t allow you additive to do it’s job.

Many oil tests use the base oil and test it, then add ZDDP and the lubrication goes DOWN with the additive in the same oil.

I’ll just buy oil made for the old car cams and leave mixing and the science experiments to the govt. LOL

Sounds like it's time for dura-lube!!

They also, provided much testing and data.

What oil are you adding ZDDP into? Off the shelf oil formulated for late model cars. It has too much detergent and this won’t allow you additive to do it’s job.

Many oil tests use the base oil and test it, then add ZDDP and the lubrication goes DOWN with the additive in the same oil.

I’ll just buy oil made for the old car cams and leave mixing and the science experiments to the govt. LOL
This was the reason I've reading up on this.
With different manufacturers of ZDDP additives
the ppm numbers are all over the map. The
'suggested' ppm ZDDP level for a flat tappet
V-8's is 1200 to 1400 ppm. But just because
your oil may contain the suggested levels
(added in) it may not offer any better or
more wear protection.
I've just changed out my break in oil and am
using a ZDDP formulated oil.

I’ve got 7qts of Rotella-T 15w40 that I’ve stashed. It’s going into my 440. From what I’ve read, adding zinc additives can screw up the original chemistry put in the oil. Go for something good and be done with it. Also,I can remember doing cam replacements at the dealer and there was no 2500rpm break-in. Put it in and drive away. Course this was stock valve springs,etc.

119EF2DC-4967-42C8-ADA1-AD46F8A14252.jpeg

It's actually easy to calculate....but you need to know the % ZDDP in the additive and the specific gravity of that additive. It's math from there. ZDDP plus has a specific gravity of 0.990, but it's Safety Data Sheet doesn't list the % ZDDP, so you'd have to measure that in a laboratory to answer your question.
crazy-scientist-yelling-his-lab-front-exploded-experiment-99011561.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back