• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone "Name" their cars???

Thank you all for the "Validation". The wife was amused at some of the comments :lol:

It is a bit presumptuous I think. They know what their name is and will likely be really mad if you change it. Example: Just start calling your wife Sue from now on. Unless that is her name she is gonna get pissed!

It is a bit presumptuous I think. They know what their name is and will likely be really mad if you change it. Example: Just start calling your wife Sue from now on. Unless that is her name she is gonna get pissed!
Well...if you do it while matress dancing it could be the best, but possibly the last, ride of your life!

When my girls were little we got them a big orange plastic push car. they named it new car. when I started taking them to cruises with two car seats in the back they started calling my charger blue car. It has stuck ever since. My wife names her cars her daily driver now is Esmerelda. I have no clue why.

I have a 73 SSB that is yellow and has been call the Canary for over 40 years

We call our Bahama Yellow '72 Satellite Sebring Plus the same thing, but in Spanish "El Canario".

The '65 Barracuda Formula "S" I call "Gertrude" in honor of my great aunt who left me enough money to get her restoration under way. Now stripped, sandblasted, with a little primer.

My previous bracket car, '65 Valiant four-door, named it "Valiant Effort."

DSC00373.JPG DSC05051.JPG 65 Valiant2.jpg

Last edited:
While it’s simple enough to say GTX - I most often refer to mine as the “X”. I like to abbreviate things - except sex.....

A few Racecars had names, when it was in vogue...
Desperado - 27 Ford Altered, Wild Thang - 23 Ford Altered,
Kodiak Attack - 71 Old 442, Papa's Car - 71 Camaro,
Blue By U - 69 Roadrunner...
Seems sort of cheesy now...

Me & all my friend would call my Trans Am's
"White Trash taxis", I had a few of them, even racecars...

I had a 68 Charger R/T
I regretted that I painted '77' Corvette Bight Yellow
when I was young & dumb
it was 'the big banana' or 'yellow streak' among my friends

My former long time GF, Honey sort of kiddingly named my current RR,
B_I_T_C_H, as in the other, one knight when we were messing around....
I asked why & she said; It was that for a while,
I was under it, I spent more money & time on it, than her...

I didn't think I did, but she's an Ex now... :lol:

It's just 'the Roadrunner' or 'the car' to me...

The wife wants to name the cars, but not me. When I bought the Barracuda, I told the seller if he couldn’t start the engine, I wouldn’t go through with the sale. When he turned the key, it cranked right up, so I bought it. As I was loading it onto the trailer to take it home, he admitted that two other potential buyers also came by and said the same thing, but he couldn’t get the car started no matter what he tried. Then he said that his grandmother would sit at their window and watch him work on the car for days on end - until she died. He thought that maybe her spirit went into the car. Then he thought that maybe she (in the car) didn’t like the other two buyers, so she wouldn’t let the engine start for them. My wife asked what her name was and he said “Maggie”. So we call the car Maggie in her memory.

The the wife wanted to know what name I had for the GTX. I said “GTX”. Nuff said.

I don't typically name vehicles. I usually call them what they are.
But the Roadrunner has a name because of two little girls. We had a neighbor with two girls, 3 and 4. They loved the car because it was "pretty". One evening, their dad and I were trying to get them to say Plymouth Roadrunner. They kept saying "Purple Thunder". The car looks purple at night because of the prisms in the paint and it's loud. From that night on every time they wanted to go for a ride, they always asked if they could ride in "Purple Thunder".
The other half thought it was fitting and cute so we put a windshield decal with that on it.
I still call it the car in the garage. Lol

I just call my car what it is "the GTX".
A few people I know decided they were going to call it the "Banana". So, I renamed those two to "Rocket Man" and "Einstein" being they were both so quick and witty. Banana never stuck but Rocket man and Einstein are both sporting their names proudly. What a couple of -----Idiot's

Auto Transport Service
Back