• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does the 6 Pack base set on an angle?

sam dupont

Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Don't own a 6 Pack air cleaner, so I'm looking at photos. The base appears to be angled as though the intake has a rake.

I have a base and it doesn’t have any angle in it. The intake does have angle in it that puts the carbs real close to level when installed on the engine in the car. The engine sitting in the car angles to the rear around 5 degrees.

The angled part is the outer flat area beyond the filter element that the hood seal would set on.

Don't own a 6 Pack air cleaner, so I'm looking at photos. The base appears to be angled as though the intake has a rake.
It kinda depend on which sixpack aircleaner you are looking at, shaker, air grabber, or 69 1/2 lift-off.
The manifold has a slant to it, so the carbs sit level, but the hood line isnt level to the carbs.
The bucket that is on a 69 1/2 has a slight slant, to match the hood line. I can't speak for the others.
Edit: sorry for the redundant comment, just now realized this is in the A12 thread. Doh!

I was looking at the Promax air cleaner and noticed what appears to be an angle to the base where it meets the carb.

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 5.29.49 PM.png

Yep, that's why I asked if the OEM base does the same thing. Looks like it does in some photos.

33 IMP,
I was thinking of a regular or Air Grabber base. Shakers and A12s have little height restriction. Are there four bases?

33 IMP,
I was thinking of a regular or Air Grabber base. Shakers and A12s have little height restriction. Are there four bases?
If you google sixpack aircleaners, they will show you an assortment of originals and aftermarket.
Nicks garage has a terrific resource, a pic of almost all the aircleaners on hipo mopars from 50s thru 80s.
I dont know how many varieties of six pack air cleaners there are, but i think there has to be at least four, not counting the small block T/A-AAR variety.
69A12, shaker, fresh air, non-fresh air, and maybe the air grabber is different?
Pretty sure you can find the Nicks garage air cleaner thing on you tube.

Thank you 33 Imp,
I've been to Nick's. Good photos, but I think he only lists two versions. I don't want to cut a hole in my hood, so I would be most interested in a non-fresh air. He has a couple measurements, but is unclear what it is he is attempting to show.

View attachment 1179565

Sam, it would help if we knew what you are trying to do.
Im guessing youre trying to get a sixpack and aircleaner under a flat hood car. Ive seen it done with the non-fresh air base. I dont know if any aftermarket work.
Ive also seen cars with sixpack scoops with two stacked elements, so not a bunch of height restriction there. I

Auto Transport Service
Back