• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this VIN plate belong to the car?

Newkidonthebloc

Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have bought the car last summer and I am trying to get to know as much of its history as I possibly can. Maybe I am wrong but I think the vinplate under the hood and the one on de door do not match up (right)? I believe the vin-plate on the door is original to the car. I've attached photo's of both.

What I know / what I've been told :
The car was an original Californian black plate car and was picked up by a guy from Colorado about 15 years ago which is where it spend the last 15 years in his garage when not being driven. I'm guessing that the car was 'refreshed' and painted red (car was originally white) just before the previous owner bought it. During the refresh they installed a back seat which was not original to the car because the build sheet belongs to a 66 bronze metallic coronet with a poly 318. Can you guys tell me whether the vin plate under the hood is original to the car? and how I can find out when this car rolled of the assembly line?

Best,

Thom

IMG-20210225-WA0000.jpg IMG-20210224-WA0008.jpg

I’m pretty sure that you would need to check the broadcast sheet in order to prove it 100% but in my opinion they match. The last 6 digits of the VIN tag didn’t start matching the fender tag until 1969 and based on your pictures your car must be either a 66 or 67.

Is this a 67 with a 383- 2 barrel?

Both show WH23. Both show 383-2bbl (G in VIN and 61 on tag). The VIN range (116820 in the VIN) to Schedule Production Date (A31 on tag) seems about right for the LA plant (5 in the VIN).

wh23g75116820.jpg

The 08083 in the lower right corner of the fender tag should match the number on the core support and on the rear left by the bumper bracket. That number is referred to as the SO number. It should also appear on the build sheet if you have a correct one for your car. It is not uncommon to find incorrect build sheets in a car. WH23G7 is a 67 Coronet 440 383-2bbl.

I’m pretty sure that you would need to check the broadcast sheet in order to prove it 100% but in my opinion they match. The last 6 digits of the VIN tag didn’t start matching the fender tag until 1969 and based on your pictures your car must be either a 66 or 67.
Ahh yeah I already thought the last 6 digits should match up. Thanks for your response!

Both show WH23. Both show 383-2bbl (G in VIN and 61 on tag). The VIN range (116820 in the VIN) to Schedule Production Date (A31 on tag) seems about right for the LA plant (5 in the VIN).

View attachment 1234978
Thanks for your reply, really helpful! Is there any way besides the date on the side of the engine block where I can find an rough esitmate when the car rolled of the assembly line?

The 08083 in the lower right corner of the fender tag should match the number on the core support and on the rear left by the bumper bracket. That number is referred to as the SO number. It should also appear on the build sheet if you have a correct one for your car. It is not uncommon to find incorrect build sheets in a car. WH23G7 is a 67 Coronet 440 383-2bbl.
Ill check that somewhere during the weekend. Thanks for your response!

Thanks for your reply, really helpful! Is there any way besides the date on the side of the engine block where I can find an rough esitmate when the car rolled of the assembly line?

Unless factory records of daily production surface, we'll never know for sure what day some cars were actually built.

Cars were built before and after the Scheduled Date. A31 indicates October 31st. A realistic time frame of assembly likely runs from 7-10 days before and 7-10 days after October 31st. You can check date coded components and see how they relate to the Scheduled date to get a better feel for the assembly date.

The SO (shop order) on radiator support might be under yellow anti-freeze decal.

There is a pad on a 383 that should be stamped
C 383 with numbers below it that decode to the engine build date. The distributor may have to be removed to be able to read it. Other stamping there can give you additional information about the original engine build.

From your fender tag:

CAR: Dodge Coronet 440 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 383cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: 7.75 x 14 WSW
MODEL YEAR: 1967
BUILD DATE: October 31.
AXLE: 2.94 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Split Bench Seats. White on Black Interior.
PAINT: White (Dodge, Plymouth), Persian White (Chrysler, Imperial).
OTHER: Black (Dodge, Plymouth), Formal Black (Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
15: Unknown Option

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
E1: Cleaner Air Package
R1: AM Radio
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back