• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does your Wife or Girlfriend help you with your cars?

My wife is not a car freak and as long as it is clean and has air condition she's happy. She has raised my two kids and took care of everything in my house including the money. Ten years ago our son passed away and destroyed our life's. He had a car we worked on as a hobby and I was left to finish it. We spent any amount of money on this dream, money meant nothing. As my helpers one by one left, that also affected her and I. She would come out to help, but it was hard. I felt I owed it to him to finish it, but every piece of that car reminded me of our loss. I couldn't move forward dragging all this sadness behind me. This pass summer my wife could see it was to much for me emotionally to go on by myself. It broke her heart to watch me struggle day after day on something that reminded me of my loss, please forgive me for being weak, I have never said any of this out loud. We were at a car show, our friend had several of his cars in and I spotted this 65 Coronet three cars down. When I didn't come back after about 30 minutes she wondered what had happened to me, she's like that! She walked up to me and just stood there and watched me walk around this car. She said, I take it you like this car, I said it had always been one of my favorite cars all my life. She looked at me and said, you never told me that, after 40 years of marriage, I'm just now finding this out. She asked if it had air condition, I said yes. She asked me if it was for sale, I said, looking at her, I have no idea, what difference does that make. SHE walked up to him and asked him, not if it was for sale, but, how much for the car. I looked at her, then him and he just laughed. SHE said how much, he stopped laughing and just gave her a number. She said to him, that I was going to take it on a test drive and if I liked it, it was mine. He asked if she was serious and she looked at him with that look only she can give and said, cash or check!! We sold my sons car two days later and with a tear in my eye we watch it go down the road on a trailer with enough stuff to build two cars and a PROMISE that it would get done and a price to low to tell you, man, was he happy and I'm sure my son would not of minded the price, he loved to make people happy. So what was the question, does my wife help me, she saved my life and I love her more than anything. She bought me all the stainless for the rocker and wheel lips off a 500 and I can't wait till summer to put it on!! We now wash it together and are together in it ALL the time. She loves it and it's a fresh start for her and I. By the way, the a/c blows ice cold. This is a picture of her and I in our favorite place to go in the summer, Scottsdale Arizona, Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch. Kern, our favorite place in the winter at Christmas is Gatlinburg Tennessee. We take the family and rent a place in the mountains, two years in a row now, also a new fresh start. You can't buy happiness, but, she did for us......

View attachment 721508 View attachment 721509 View attachment 721510

I dont ever think ive ever in all the years im on this forum read anything that ever got to me the way your post did. I hope some day I can just meet you and your wife. God Bless you both

Umm....I second that. Awesome..............just awesome. I am truly sorry for your loss Hey-O but I am truly overjoyed for your happiness.

I dont ever think ive ever in all the years im on this forum read anything that ever got to me the way your post did. I hope some day I can just meet you and your wife. God Bless you both

Agreed. Same here. You are a lucky man. I love Gatlinburg too.

My wife is not a car freak and as long as it is clean and has air condition she's happy. She has raised my two kids and took care of everything in my house including the money. Ten years ago our son passed away and destroyed our life's. He had a car we worked on as a hobby and I was left to finish it. We spent any amount of money on this dream, money meant nothing. As my helpers one by one left, that also affected her and I. She would come out to help, but it was hard. I felt I owed it to him to finish it, but every piece of that car reminded me of our loss. I couldn't move forward dragging all this sadness behind me. This pass summer my wife could see it was to much for me emotionally to go on by myself. It broke her heart to watch me struggle day after day on something that reminded me of my loss, please forgive me for being weak, I have never said any of this out loud. We were at a car show, our friend had several of his cars in and I spotted this 65 Coronet three cars down. When I didn't come back after about 30 minutes she wondered what had happened to me, she's like that! She walked up to me and just stood there and watched me walk around this car. She said, I take it you like this car, I said it had always been one of my favorite cars all my life. She looked at me and said, you never told me that, after 40 years of marriage, I'm just now finding this out. She asked if it had air condition, I said yes. She asked me if it was for sale, I said, looking at her, I have no idea, what difference does that make. SHE walked up to him and asked him, not if it was for sale, but, how much for the car. I looked at her, then him and he just laughed. SHE said how much, he stopped laughing and just gave her a number. She said to him, that I was going to take it on a test drive and if I liked it, it was mine. He asked if she was serious and she looked at him with that look only she can give and said, cash or check!! We sold my sons car two days later and with a tear in my eye we watch it go down the road on a trailer with enough stuff to build two cars and a PROMISE that it would get done and a price to low to tell you, man, was he happy and I'm sure my son would not of minded the price, he loved to make people happy. So what was the question, does my wife help me, she saved my life and I love her more than anything. She bought me all the stainless for the rocker and wheel lips off a 500 and I can't wait till summer to put it on!! We now wash it together and are together in it ALL the time. She loves it and it's a fresh start for her and I. By the way, the a/c blows ice cold. This is a picture of her and I in our favorite place to go in the summer, Scottsdale Arizona, Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch. Kern, our favorite place in the winter at Christmas is Gatlinburg Tennessee. We take the family and rent a place in the mountains, two years in a row now, also a new fresh start. You can't buy happiness, but, she did for us......

Got me too @Hey-O .....sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm lucky she helps anytime I need her, but too much grease and she's gone.
She thought my Caddy needed a hood ornament, once!

michi cady .jpg

I love Caddy's almost as much as I love Mopars! That is a beautiful f'n car man...

My wife has tolerated and financially supported my last 3 builds....so I have to say a very grateful YES.

Without her assistance, and support in keeping the family occupied, I would have had not much time to play cars and trucks.

She also told me to put the foot to the floor on a club cruise many years ago in the GTX. :D

Here we are at the Huka Falls (near Taupo) during a run in 2009
View attachment 721213

View attachment 721214

View attachment 721215
Except for the fat guy in the right, what a beautiful picture of your family , thanks Roger.:lol:

Sorry for your loss, both of you. I can’t imagine the loss of a son/daughter before me. Supposed to be the other way.

Kerndog, you come up with some of the most off the wall ideas, and then they just take off! Luv it!

Am so sorry too for your lost, we couldn't have kids God know how hard we try, but am glad you're here alive and we'll and thanks for sharing.

Kerndog, you come up with some of the most off the wall ideas, and then they just take off! Luv it!

Yes, he does. Perhaps it his way of atoning for those "shorts" pictures of him that he posts, but he still has a long ways to go.

@Kern Dog ...it's a start. Keep up the good work.
2016-08-08_lif_23419439_I1.JPG

I have a kind of busy brain. Some thoughts are fun, some are strange, some are pointless.
I was the annoying kid that pestered the adults with question after question that they often could not answer. There was no "google" to search when I was a kid. Mom would suggest I look for answers in the encyclopedia. We didn't have any encyclopedias though.
I used to edit the notes Mom left for me, correcting her misspelled words. Yeah, this annoying habit of mine has been there from the start.

I have a kind of busy brain. Some thoughts are fun, some are strange, some are pointless.
I was the annoying kid that pestered the adults with question after question that they often could not answer. There was no "google" to search when I was a kid. Mom would suggest I look for answers in the encyclopedia. We didn't have any encyclopedias though.
I used to edit the notes Mom left for me, correcting her misspelled words. Yeah, this annoying habit of mine has been there from the start.

Ah yes, you are incurable. Join the club.

I’ll second the strange. But, I’ll take care of the pointless.

Sometimes you need help with the project. Bleeding brakes, carrying seats...whatever.
Who is lucky enough to have a friendly female helper in the garage?
Mary has helped me bleed brakes, run the engine during break-in, install seats, windshields, hoods, trunklids...I am a fortunate man.
Oil changes? No. Tire rotation? Nah. Bodywork and sanding? Nope.
That is okay though. Anytime I need help with something that requires 2 people, she is willing to help. That is a real treasure.
View attachment 721204
Kern about fifteen yrs ago me my son and my wyfe were in the shop trying to put a 360-380 in the sons 70 dart, after struggling with it for about two hours we decided that the k-member was the wrong one and would have to be changed, the son had had about enough and stormed out of the shop and went in the house. the wyfe looked at me and asked how much trouble it was to change the k-member, i told her 2 1/2 hrs by myself, to which she says, and with help?? I told her 40-45 min, she says lets get rollin, the son finally cooled off enough (bout an hour & 10 min or so) to come back out and help, Rick(Regina) and I were putting the engine in the car when he walked up and said, you told me the K would have to be changed, I told him, your mother and I have already changed it and the motor will be in in about another 20 min. he stood there just dumbfounded, I told him your mother has been helping the old man since long before he was born. Rick and I work together great, we are good together. I'll bet she has helped me bleed the brakes fifty times over the yrs. So in answer to the question,, yes she does in spades. next ann. , 44 yrs Dave.

Kern about fifteen yrs ago me my son and my wyfe were in the shop trying to put a 360-380 in the sons 70 dart, after struggling with it for about two hours we decided that the k-member was the wrong one and would have to be changed, the son had had about enough and stormed out of the shop and went in the house. the wyfe looked at me and asked how much trouble it was to change the k-member, i told her 2 1/2 hrs by myself, to which she says, and with help?? I told her 40-45 min, she says lets get rollin, the son finally cooled off enough (bout an hour & 10 min or so) to come back out and help, Rick(Regina) and I were putting the engine in the car when he walked up and said, you told me the K would have to be changed, I told him, your mother and I have already changed it and the motor will be in in about another 20 min. he stood there just dumbfounded, I told him your mother has been helping the old man since long before he was born. Rick and I work together great, we are good together. I'll bet she has helped me bleed the brakes fifty times over the yrs. So in answer to the question,, yes she does in spades. next ann. , 44 yrs Dave.
Luuuuvvvv it!

Hmmm...
My first wife would say: You love your car more than you love me.
That was not true...But it got me thinking.
The car was always willing.
It was more comfortable to be with.
They weighed about the same.
The car produced fewer emissions.
I hear the same, but she knows they are going no where and neither is she.
It will be 44 years next month.

She helps 5 days a week at work and I try not to bother her on week ends. She has helped move vehicles and pumped brakes. I preferer to work on the cars alone and she likes it that way. She says I am just to dam picky and it frustrates the hell out of her. I still have one of the three sons close by to help when really needed. It has been an exchange labor thing over the years.
She does a pretty decent job of keeping me in line and knows when I get tired and time to quit, pack it up and go home.
Can not even get her to help build the house and we work on them all week long.
In all she doesn't complain to much about the cars and I don't say much about her sewing machine which there are 6 of in the living room now. Lost track of the total count long ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back