• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dog Dish cap without scratching wheel paint.

rustytoolss

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
How are you guys removing your dog dish cap without scratching up the wheel paint ? I also have trim rings.

Harbor Freight has nylon pry bar kits.
Some pry bars have a little cover you can slide over the end to make it non-marring.
Of course it won't work quite as nicely.

1708528629904.png

I use a set of auto body trim and molding tools like this from Harbor Freight (about 10 bucks) for all kinds of tasks like that.

I have some Harbor Freight nylon trim tools but I didn't have much luck trying to use any of the ones in my kit to remove dogdash hubcaps. They were too thick to get under the cap to pry them, in my experience.
What I ended up doing was using a paint can lid tool, available all over the place for around $5. I put some masking tape on the curved end of the tool to protect the wheel and cap when I pry. Works like a charm!

Paint can tool.JPG

I have these Craftsman zig zag screw drivers. I just put the flat behind the cap and pull on the other end. Never touches the wheel.

481-105.01.jpg

I remove them,throw them in the trash and put some decent wheels on like they did when these cars were new.

It does solve the problem. No need to remove the caps like that on a nice set of performance wheels. The dog dish thing is way over done,and they look more at home on a taxicab than they do on a muscle car.

Two words....powder coat!
Haha okay, seriously though if you're running painted wheels just wrap your tool of choice with electrical tape.

The dog dish hubcaps are good to put the lugnuts in while switching to a nice set of mag wheels!

0e9464ca0c1279f61244b24b05a7b6c0.jpg

tumblr_83cce2ed870d0520c7cf229c7cc6ae99_9afa5d4d_gbrybgrbggbgtrtr500.jpg

Last edited:
Heat the shank of a medium flat-bladed screwdriver, and bend it so the tip goes behind the cap, and the bend is close to the tip. a nice piece of vacuum tool will work great to save the wheel. Besides the tool will look more professional in your trunk tool kit. And BTW I like the look of the tires, black rims, and a "hub cap". The wheels just look bigger to me. Plus a lot less work keeping them clean.

It does solve the problem. No need to remove the caps like that on a nice set of performance wheels. The dog dish thing is way over done,and they look more at home on a taxicab than they do on a muscle car.
Some people like them, some don’t. The question was how to get them off without damage. Why would you post an answer like this? This forum is to help people out… Do you really think your response did that?
Doug

I used a mini crowbar like this to remove dog dishes. I wrapped tape around all but the very end to prevent paint chipping.

IMG_2233.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back