• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dog dish caps

YY1

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know for sure what caps are correct for 66?

I have seen two different styles, and they are different sizes.

I know these are both 67 models but finding pics of 66 is proving difficult.

Finding the wheels with the larger center is also proving difficult.

I have 6 and they are all different. 5 and 5.5" widths, 3.5 and 4" back spacing and 4 different center styles with different perimiter hole shapes and none one or five holes besides the lug holes. I even have one with 4 "tangs" to mount the cap, as the others all have 3.

red L DDC.jpg

I think the bottom one is actually a 1968 style cap but without an upclose photo I am not sure.

I believe the 15" wheels had the large center,The 14"all had the smaller center.also sending a PM

67 wheels

I will enclose a photo of a correct 1967 B body wheel. bear in mind that 3 variations exist of 67 wheels and mid march of 67 was the stamping change. All of the B body wheels came with the 10 " button nubs. Chargers took the 9" button nub wheel because deep dish wheel covers would fit. NO-- 15 " wheels didnt take a larger button compared to 14". In fact r/t and GTX came stock with 14x5.5 wheels.
The R/T button like the one pictured in top photo. It carried over from 66.

I in fact have a set of of 67 R/T wheels if you want to buy a set. PM me.

66 and 67 wheels are similar and the move away from the 5 'guide' holes between lugs differ them from 65 wheels.

photo sec try

message too short eh

Last edited:
Frankly I have never seen a 66 or 67 hub cap at any show on any Mopar. I am not even sure as to what they look like. I checked the factory literature and no metion of wheels until 1968.

Great, none of the wheels I have are just like that, although one does have a "T" stamp, and one has a "5" and a "0" on either side of the valve stem.

I know there were at least 2 different suppliers of these. The ones I have have 2 very distict center styles, most notably the vent holes.

I'm paying $10-$15 a piece for the ones I'm getting, and the guy said I could bring back and trade out any that I don't want.

Problem is- it's over an hour drive from my house and he has about 500 wheels in about 20 acres of property, most concentrated in three sheds and one large pile.

Some of them are in great shape, in body color and with bias ply tires on them.
Those are the ones I look for first.

One supplier was Motor Wheels and if I am not mistaken the other was Budd. Let me take a look at my parts catalog:

14 x 5.50-------------------------------------------------------2298 523
14 x 5.00, except Sta. Wgn.-------------------------------------2525 075
14 x 5.50, Charger, P, D, C1, C2, except Sta. Wgn., Deep Dish---- 2534 702
15 x 5.50 R, W, -------------------------------------------------2823 858

Part numbers in case it helps

...and Caps:

R, P1 P2-L, P2-M, P2-H, C1-------------- 2460 587
W-L, W-H W2-P, except Charger--------*2460 583

I found a set of 15" rims on a mid 60s Dodge truck that work with the larger cap for my 66 Coronet. Seems like I ran across plenty of 14 inchers.

Does anyone for sure, know what the 2460587 dog dish caps look like? According to the parts books, they are listed for the '66 Plym B body, '66 Plym C body, and '65-'66 Chrysler Newport. This doesn't make any sense to me as I am pretty sure these are the large 10" black painted Plymouth caps like these shown in this picture. But these wouldn't have been used on the Newport. Ebay lists these large black caps as being no. 2768042. But that's definitely wrong as that part number is listed for deep dish wheels and would have to be the smaller diameter 9". I believe that one is actually the same as the small cap Charger, but with a Plymouth symbol on it. I'm not sure of the application for those though, but probably wider (deep dish) wheels on the '66 Fury.

Since the Newport caps were used in '65 it seems that the Chrysler would use the same caps as the '65 Plymouth, except maybe the argent colored one instead of black? If so, there is an error in the parts book. Maybe the Chrysler version is a different number like 2460582, which is one up from the black painted Plymouth version? If not, I am really confused what each of these part numbers refer to or what the argent colored one or large black Plymouth caps would be. Also there isn't enough part numbers to account for all of them. Anyone know for sure about any of this?

2768042 Plym DogDish.jpg

Interesting.

I have not seen that style cap with the Plymouth symbol.

The 1966 Caps are ALL the large-diameter style - regardless of wheel diameter.

The 1967 caps are ALL the small-diameter style - regardless of wheel diameter

That's clearly not correct. The '66 Charger used the small cap from the start because the deep dish wheel had to use them. And the C-bodies were also supplied with small cap versions for any deep dish wheels that were used. The small cap part numbers all started in 1966 and were used on an as needed basis. But it is true that the vast majority of cars, outside of large tired C-bodies & Chargers, used the large cap.

I think I figured out the answer to my original question (with help from ForABodiesOnly), and I was wrong about it. Evidence from old photos of '66 B-body cars, shows the same '65 cap being used, except painted with argent instead of black. This makes sense, in terms of the same cap being applied to the '65-'66 Chryslers as well. So that large, black painted Plymouth cap that I posted above, must be used on export vehicles or something similar to that; as there aren't any unaccounted part numbers available to apply to it in the US catalog.

66 Plym Cap.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure 67 B body used the large center for the 10" cap as well.

Can't speak for charger, though.

That's correct, the '67-'68 Plymouth B-body used this large cap. That one is less confusing.

67-68 Plym B Cap.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back