• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dokter Visit

metaldad

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
had a meeting with a neuro doc today. he ran a few tests, one in particular wasnt pleasant.
numb right foot - pinched nerve s1 vertebrae, pt. if that doesnt help, surgery.
numb hands - severe carpal tunnel. surgery
any input, on the hand surgery? recovery time?
thanks, bob

Dammit M-dad sorry to hear that.
This may or may not relate.....but my good friend that did upholstery for 30 years had CT surgery on each hand at different times (the surgery was actually done more in the wrist area) and the recovery, for him, was about two months each time. But, his problems were more repetitive stress from doing the work that he did. He had the surgeries in his 40s, about 20 years into his career. He made it back to work each time but it did slow him down a bit.
Either way, get it corrected sooner than later, that stuff gets worse not better if you leave it alone. Good luck my friend!

I went thru the carpal tunnel tests, a nerve conduction study it was horrible. I even told the nice lady I don’t like needle so be easy and talk about anything you want to keep my mind occupied and I’ll make it thru.. she was awesome and I survived.. no I’ve not got surgery done but the chiropractor helped me a lot , also gave me different things to do to loosen up the old clubs/ hands. Now as I’m ten years older I’m thinking I should get them done as it’s getting worse. Try to avoid cutting if possible. Mine now goes in spurts but my chiropractor has been a big help! Best of luck I feel for ya! I do know you will also always test positive for carpal tunnel even thought you had them fixed... follow their recommendations on therapy to so you gain strength ASAP!

Just talking to my friend tonight and her left hand has been on fire for some time now. Years ago she had the CT surgery. She said she'll never go through the nerve conduction ever again. She sews heavy material at her workplace and it's effecting her work. She has a doctor appt Wednesday for a referral. Aleve has had some results with it and a few glasses of wine but lately it's waking her up in the middle of the night. Sucks getting old!

Good luck Bob :thumbsup:

Look online for therapy exercises , there are some I do from time to time that really help stretch thinks back out . It involves finger tips on something solid and pushing towards a solid object with hand flat.. you’ll feel it stretch in there .

Wifey had CT done about 12 years ago it was an easy 8 week recovery.
The burning in your foot, does it kind of start in the shin area and work down? I had that and my Dr gave me a series of shots in my spine to help open where the nerve passes through the vertebrae. It has helped quite a bit

Had Carpal Tunnel surgery about fifteen years ago. Couldn't ride my Bike because my hands fell asleep!
Nerve conductivity test was a piece of cake, I'm not afraid of needles. Actually kind of comical when the
Dr. looked at me and asked if "I felt that"? Felt what? Ha! Had my right hand done first, then the left.
Six weeks until healed fully. Glad I had it done. Like I said, fifteen years out. Good Luck!

It may be worth getting an eval by a good Chiropracter. I have had nerve issues from my left shoulder to my hand and doc recommended surgery. I was able to eliminate about 95% of the pain and numbness with a Chiro’s help and some work on my posture. Took me a couple tries to find the right one, though.

I have no issues with the surgery if necessary, I was lucky to be able to avoid it so far.

get multiple opinions

I hope you get the help you need

----------------------------------------------------------

Albeit I think the procedures are better today, less invasive too

I do have a buddy Don T., that went thru CT stuff
sorry to say he was never, & will never be the same
he had it really bad, in both wrists
he was a machinist, fabricator/welder in the shipyards
since he was 17 y/o (extremely repetitive work)
later became a Racecar fabricator/builder
he helped me with my F/C & both my Altereds
he's a great fabricator/welder, decent machinist

he says the pain or numbing/tingling (like falling asleep)
he'd have isn't really there anymore
after the second surgery to reduce the size of the tendons
& IIRC enlarge carpel tunnel hole
but the tendons (possibly nerves I don't remember)
going thru the narrowed wrist tunnels
I think it was, he said, they were scar tissued really bad,
they had to go back in a do something about them too...
IIRC he ended up having a 3rd operation too...

He had really good surgeons & really good insurance too...

he had it done in his late 40's too
he still struggles some 30 years later, he's in his late 70's now
(albeit he's always been a bit of a complainer :poke: , not just the wrists either)

I think he said his alteratives were to have his wrists fused
he wanted to avoid that at all costs

----------------------------------------------------------

I know a couple of carpenters that have had it too
nowhere near as bad as Don T. did, thank goodness
They got a lil' clean up on the tunnel done & all's good
they're in their 60's today, had it done maybe 15-20 years ago now

-----------------------------------------------------------

I hope all goes well for you... :praying:

Last edited:
Geez, I went through the whole neurology test thing and they were going to operate to move the tendons to anther location so they wouldn't be irritated. I told my chiropractor about it and she did a couple adjustments and it took care of the issue. She treated the cause of the problem instead of just fixing the symptoms. The neurologist didn't look at my back x rays to see I had calcium buildup on 2 vertebrae between my shoulder blades which were irritating the nerves going down my arm irritating my elbows and wrists.

I almost made the mistake of carpal tunnel surgery. Millions of rivets into holes over 20 years and my hands barely worked. I had an appointment for surgery and my Wife kept saying "go see Sharon".. her massage therapist that I've always thought was a Witch. Rubs your foot to fix your elbow kinda thing. She found nerves behind my elbow that made me jump right off the table more than once. Once she had those knots worked out my hands worked like new again. Have for almost 10 years now, but I need to go see her again. I know nobody that has huge success with carpal surgery.. and I'm talking dozens of people that worked the TRW seatbelt line here in town that Workmans Comp made go for surgery to cover their workplace repetitive injury claims go away.

Auto Transport Service
Back