• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dome Light

RAHale

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Hello All, Thanks for having me.
I'm a Residence is Sewell, NJ. I've recently purchased a 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury.
Every time I turn around something else is broken or not working.

So here's my question; My dome light will not go out unless in either pull the bulb or remove the neg battery cable. Both of the jams switches are new, the headlamp switch is new. What else is left to check?

welcome , sounds like a short .I'd recheck that the door switches are wired properly and there is no exposed wire

My car would die if I turned on my head lights. Took my mechanic about an hour to trace the wire being pinched in the door hinge. It was nice to have a kill switch.

welcome to FBBO I would check the lite in the console there is a on off switch also check ground wire under the console

It's funny you mention that light on the front end of the console, it would not work. I changed the bulb still not working so I replaced the toggle switch. Not more than a day I notices the dome staying on.

Welcome to FBBO

maybe you could repost & put this in the General discussion forum section
&or the electrical & ignition forum section

this is the welcome wagon not really intended as a Q&A forum,
it's more for intros getting to know each other sharing a photo or 2 etc.

good luck with your wiring dome lite dilemma...
Have you done the basics ? checked the bulb, a good ground & trace the wire ?

Welcome. The courtesy lamps in the 63 are triggered by a switched ground, not by a switched battery. In other words, there is battery at the lamp at all times. The door jam switches provide ground to the courtesy lamps. It's a yellow wire. So you either have a ground at the yellow wire from the door switches at all times or there is a ground short at the dome light itself or the light switch is faulty. Ground to the yellow wire is also provided from the light switch by turning the knob full counter clockwise. You know, for when you want to turn the dome light on while in the car. Is your car equipped with a map light? Do you have a console? Are there other courtesy lamps that work properly?

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1963/63BelvedereFurySavoyV8A.JPG
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1963/63BelvedereFurySavoyV8B.JPG

Welcome aboard and thanks for joining the forum.
Its a switch....
Why?
Simple: The electricity goes to the switch and the switch "passes" OR "stops" the electricity
Now, what switch?

Auto Transport Service
Back