• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't just bolt on heads out of the box

They look like some pretty good heads but someone dropped the ball on cleaning the casting sand out.

Casting sand. Worked at a brand X dealership. New truck would overheat idling for 5-7 minutes, violent boiling over. Tried many things, finally popped out the freeze plugs. Turns out the block was full of sand. The radiator was clean and clear, sand not flowing around just sitting in the block.

Yeah, that looks like casting sand. It needed to sit on the shaker table post cast longer and it should have spent more time in the cleaning tank post machining. I am a little surprised the assembler did not see the problem.

RGAZ

Same thing here with a water pump housing. Water temp sensor port was completely plugged with sand.

Quality control is sadly lacking these days, everywhere!

That 318 dude did the hobby a great service by making the video.
Thanks to Mike for posting it here.

They look like some pretty good heads but someone dropped the ball on cleaning the casting sand out.
That would be the end user for not checking to make sure everything is hunky dory, unless you're the "bolt & go **** it up" type of person for not checking things!

Quality control is sadly lacking these days, everywhere!
That even falls on the end user do their own QC to make things are good before using them?

Easy turbo!

American made is not what it used to be. The majority is American assembled. Canada is just as bad.

Also I read on a sister forum that these heads are possibly assembled in Nevada.

Glad I don't know nothing

Last edited:
Wow - that’s ugly. Hard to imagine something like that could get out. Thanks for posting.

Auto Transport Service
Back