• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

doomsday coming?

I don't know about the "sky falling", I'm no fortuneteller. But I would much rather see a lot of these cars out and about rather than sitting in a private collection that very few people ever see. JMHFO.

He {Ron Pratte} allegedly sold the Collector Cars/Customs collection & his Automobilia collection
because it was too much work & wants to get back into aviation & flying much more again,
along with off road sand dune stuff, he's really into also...
He had also donated all the proceeds of a couple of the larger sales the GM Future-liner $4+million,
to some military related charioteer {supposed to say charity...LOL} & another car...
It's not because he needed money...
He's still a very rich man, just changes in his lifestyle,
claims he works harder after retirement {something like 80hrs a week}
than when he still worked full time only 60+ hrs a week...LOL

ya'll have a nice day now

Last edited:
This sell off has been going on long before Pratte sold his collection. I've been tracking prices and sales for years and car sales jumped the shark in 2008.

As I've talked about before, the price spike that started dwindling in 2008 started in 1987 following an event known as Black Monday in October 1987. This was a failure of some software that was designed to prevent losses in the stock market that triggered millions of sell offs when the stock market reached a certain point. This event induced a lot of uncertainty into the stock market and investors started looking for more secure things to invest in and they started migrating to collector cars that were just starting to gain in value due to their age. They started driving values up, and the more the values climbed the more new investors, car flippers, restorers, and other non-traditional collectors flooded into the market, which drove prices even higher.

What I saw really start reversing the market in 2008 was the fear of a currency value collapse like you mentioned, which caused gold and other precious metal prices to skyrocket, and it wasn't long before all these folks who had been investing in cars realized it was a whole lot cheaper to buy and store gold than it was to buy, store, and maintain collector cars, so they started selling off their cars and investing in precious metals, which started driving down car prices, which has led to more and more major collectors selling off their collections before they lose too much value.

Last edited:
Also the Tim Wellborn collection being sold at auction...it does make you think

I have to say I am thrilled to see these sell offs. They've been a long time in coming, and while I feel sorry for guys who bought their cars at the top of the mark and are losing money, I am happy to see the investors getting out of the market and seeing more regular collectors taking control back and moderating the prices more and more. I wish it would have happened sooner as the folks who have loved these cars for decades are dying off, and we're going to find ourselves in very uncharted territory.

When it comes to automobile collecting, you generally have a standard supply and demand equation. First there is an oversupply of cars when they are new, then they get junked, wrecked, and stashed through their service lives, then they start to become popular again and there is an undersupply until the enthusiasts for the cars, generally people who wanted them when they were young, start dying off and the limited supply of cars meets the number of collectors. And while the supply of cars keeps dropping from wrecks, scrapping, parting out, etc., the number of collectors drops as well as the original collectors die off and are replaced with smaller numbers of interested collectors from the next generation. But thanks to the influences of so many investors in this market, tens of thousands of cars that would normally have been melted down decades ago were saved and most were restored, which is starting to create an over-supply situation when there should be an under-supply situation going on, so it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

My hope is the over-supply situation will tank prices down to a point where younger kids will really be able to afford these cars and that'll help spur more interest in keeping them going. My fear is we've got some serious issues reaching a confluence here shortly. First is the folks who were kids in the 80s and 90s are already shifting their focus to the cars that were hot when they were kids, and the folks who were kids in the early 2000s will be doing the same before long. These folks weren't raised on carbs, vent windows, and gas fumes. If these guys smell exhaust there's something wrong with their car. :) They want EFI, overdrive, ABS, and other systems and I suspect it won't be long before after-market suppliers start shifting away from producing parts for 50s-70s cars and start focusing on parts for newer cars. Second will be the ongoing reduced demand for newly restored cars, which will drive down the market for reproduction parts. And third is it's getting harder and harder to find a decent mechanic who can work on our cars, especially as we get older and older and the thought of crawling around in and under our rides gets to be more of a challenge, and there are really no organized training efforts to create new mechanics. All of which makes for a very unstable market ahead.

I didnt know it was a secret. 2016 is gonna be a great time for the gold bugs to buy the car of their dreams for pennies on the dollar. Have you checked the Baltic dry index lately?

Poor Ron Pratte has to work 80 hours a week. Doing what? Can't stand when these begillionaires complain about how hard they work. I guarantee I work twice as hard and make 1% of what he does. I'm not one to say gimme, but I hate when the mega rich are tired from working. Its easy to donate millions of dollars when it helps you with your taxes. Sorry, not impressed.

Poor Ron Pratte has to work 80 hours a week. Doing what? Can't stand when these begillionaires complain about how hard they work. I guarantee I work twice as hard and make 1% of what he does. I'm not one to say gimme, but I hate when the mega rich are tired from working. Its easy to donate millions of dollars when it helps you with your taxes. Sorry, not impressed.

Agreed!

Auto Transport Service
Back