• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door alignment issue with body

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
Both doors, driver and passenger, on my '73 Charger seem to bow out at about the mid point in the door, more so on the driver than passenger. The passenger door sticks out at the bottom. Thought it might be hinge sag but the top's of the door seem to line up well with the body. Don't think there was previous body damage but don't know for certain. If there is any bondo from an accident it must be very thin because my magnet can't tell a difference. Any ideas?

image2 (1).jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

image6.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Have the quarter panels been replaced? They may not be in the original factory positions. Same if the doors have been straightened out in the past. General build quality, panel alignment, door gaps, etc. were not all that good to begin with 50 years ago.

Barring the replacement of the quarters (poorly), I would think it is hinge sag. You have to remember that the hinge system (hinges, doors, etc.) moves in multiple directions (in, out, up, down and twisting). Those doors are pretty heavy and over the decades things move also as mentioned they were not very well built/lined up when new.

loosen the lower "hinge to door" bolts....... "rock the bottom of the door "in"; you may have to muscle it back and forth to break it loose

this should gain most of it, maybe all of it

you will probably have to loosen the lower fender bolts and remove a shim or 2 so the fender moves in as well

after all that; if it's still out a little, you can do the opposite to the upper door (push out a bit) to make the door rear upper edge even with the bottom....... and suck both in with the latch and striker

One piece of advice, I remove the striker in the jam when I align the doors. Once you have them where they line up as good as you can get them, then put the striker back in and adjust that so that it is not pulling (or pushing) the door up or down or holding them out or in too far.

One piece of advice, I remove the striker in the jam when I align the doors. Once you have them where they line up as good as you can get them, then put the striker back in and adjust that so that it is not pulling (or pushing) the door up or down or holding them out or in too far.

agree 100%

Oh man, this is a great idea, last door I worked on was a struggle. What you recommend sounds like it will be much easier.

From the Service Manual.

Attachments

• B-body 67-70 DOOR REPLACEMENT.pdf
    869.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DOOR ALIGNMENT 1.pdf
    180.8 KB · Views: 77
Any wear of the door hinges makes alignment difficult. I had a door on my 67 that stuck out at the bottom and it was only solved after I rebuilt the hinges. But the seemingly difference in door and fender contours, I don’t know about that. I would look for signs the quarter or doors may have been re-skinned.

Open the doors just off the body then lift up at the outer top corner and see how much play is there. Any large movements could mean the pins are worn

well in the shop after the car is together alittle adjusting is done by using a block of wood wrapped in a polishing rag placed in between the door and the jam and then push on the door to twist it a bit to make everything fit together and line up . because some times the hinge adjustments are not enough . my pop always told me that the panels are bent into their shape , he was a true bodyman , he could fit a door like nobodies business . he's a pic of him finishing up straighting a fender . he was a journeyman at 18 years old .

image31.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back