Door Hinge Bushing installation

Grabbergreendream

Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
I think I understand. Let me see if I got this straight. On the photo I posted: The lower brass bushing is upside down so I need to remove it and flip it around so the shoulder rests on the fender hinge. The upper brass bushing needs to be removed from the fender hinge and placed on the door hinge with the shoulder on top of the door hinge with the rest of the bushing sliding into the fender hinge.
Remove that hinge half from the body & the other half from the door so you can work on the hinge in a vise in its entirety. Dont overthink it. File or grind the access off both bushings bottoms and flanges if it bothers you. Bend the flange on the mating half if needed & assemble the hinge with the pin. After that put the entire hinge in the vise using sockets over the hinge pins (surrounding the pin) and tighten the vise to close it tight.
Its always going to be "not original" at this point. No reason to make things more complicated, but you have to work on the hinge as a whole, with both halves off the car. If it was loose enough to warrant bushings, your going to realign the door anyway.
Good luck.

64Orange

Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
Remove that hinge half from the body & the other half from the door so you can work on the hinge in a vise in its entirety. Dont overthink it. File or grind the access off both bushings bottoms and flanges if it bothers you. Bend the flange on the mating half if needed & assemble the hinge with the pin. After that put the entire hinge in the vise using sockets over the hinge pins (surrounding the pin) and tighten the vise to close it tight.
Its always going to be "not original" at this point. No reason to make things more complicated, but you have to work on the hinge as a whole, with both halves off the car. If it was loose enough to warrant bushings, your going to realign the door anyway.
Good luck.

That's a great explanation, thank you. However I sent my hinges to @MoparLeo for a rebuilding.

MoparLeo

NRA BENEFACTOR LEVEL LIFE MEMBER
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
Another very happy customer.
Thank you for your business.
Leo Waiting to hear back from the machine shop that manufactures the custom hinge parts for me. Material cost went up a lot this year . I will hold these prices for now.

Attachments

• DOOR-HINGE-REBUILD-PROCEDURE 2022.pdf
    164 KB · Views: 32
  • 2022 MEMBER HINGE PRICE LIST (6) (1).pdf
    59 KB · Views: 22