Dr Diff 10.7" rear disc brake caliper adjustment.

Brakes, Steering & Suspension

1. Kern Dog

Kern Dog Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle. FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    11:57 PM
    I recall reading about some specific adjustment that has to be done to get the caliper piston to extend.
    Recently I had the 3rd member out to fix a leak. Doing so requires removal of the caliper and pads. I thought that I would try adjusting the pistons out slightly for quicker brake response.
    I recall someone mentioning that the caliper pistons need to be rotated, that they don't just push straight out like you'd expect. I rotated my right side CCW and it extended too much. I had to sand the brake pads to get the caliper to fit over the pads.
    What did I do wrong?

2. eldubb440

eldubb440 more miracles than Jesus FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    2:57 AM
    not trying to pick the low hanging fruit, but it sounds like you rotated it too much :poke:

• Like Like x 1
    • BMosely

BMosely Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Kern Dog, can’t help on that adjustment but I am curious how your e brake assembly works and your adjustments there. I have the Right Stuff rears which are similar and have the mechanical caliper cam for the e brake instead of an internal mini drum like modern cars. If I adjust my cables so that the e brake works, my right rear pad eventually heats up and starts dragging(making a god awful groan) because by setting the piston stop, like you just did, it cannot retract as it normally would. Because of this I have it adjusted just where the pads won’t groan and it barely gives me an e brake. I am looking real hard at Dr Diffs next step up which has the mini drum.

• bearman

bearman FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      What type of calipers do you use stock or aftermarket.

• Kern Dog

Local Time:
      The Dr Diff kit uses his own mounting bracket but then uses a Ford Caliper from some model of Mustang. There are plenty in junkyards so I should be able to find one to mess with,'
      FBBO member 1 Wild R/T mentioned that the caliper adjustment is done by pressing the parking brake 25-30 times, then pressing the brake pedal. I have yet to try that.

• BeepBeepRR

BeepBeepRR FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
      • Like Like x 1
      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Kern Dog

Local Time:
        I tried that but didn't "push" the piston in while turning it. I used one of those tools meant for removing the collar on 4" angle grinders.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.