• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dr Diff 10.7" rear disc brake caliper adjustment.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
I recall reading about some specific adjustment that has to be done to get the caliper piston to extend.
Recently I had the 3rd member out to fix a leak. Doing so requires removal of the caliper and pads. I thought that I would try adjusting the pistons out slightly for quicker brake response.
I recall someone mentioning that the caliper pistons need to be rotated, that they don't just push straight out like you'd expect. I rotated my right side CCW and it extended too much. I had to sand the brake pads to get the caliper to fit over the pads.
What did I do wrong?

Kern Dog, can’t help on that adjustment but I am curious how your e brake assembly works and your adjustments there. I have the Right Stuff rears which are similar and have the mechanical caliper cam for the e brake instead of an internal mini drum like modern cars. If I adjust my cables so that the e brake works, my right rear pad eventually heats up and starts dragging(making a god awful groan) because by setting the piston stop, like you just did, it cannot retract as it normally would. Because of this I have it adjusted just where the pads won’t groan and it barely gives me an e brake. I am looking real hard at Dr Diffs next step up which has the mini drum.

What type of calipers do you use stock or aftermarket.

The Dr Diff kit uses his own mounting bracket but then uses a Ford Caliper from some model of Mustang. There are plenty in junkyards so I should be able to find one to mess with,'
FBBO member 1 Wild R/T mentioned that the caliper adjustment is done by pressing the parking brake 25-30 times, then pressing the brake pedal. I have yet to try that.

I tried that but didn't "push" the piston in while turning it. I used one of those tools meant for removing the collar on 4" angle grinders.

Auto Transport Service
Back