• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dragging our cars?

440+6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
Any one run down the strip with their old car, or even newer car?
Anyone worried about insurance?

I run every car I can down the track. There is no insurance. It's just run what ya bring and have fun. Keep both eyes open and you're fine

I run every car I can down the track. There is no insurance. It's just run what ya bring and have fun. Keep both eyes open and you're fine
Sound great, thats not my situation, but Im sure your having fun, I think my late best bud had the same thing going on with his cuda.

Sound great, thats not my situation, but Im sure your having fun, I think my late best bud had the same thing going on with his cuda.
Hmmm.. not sure what you mean, and maybe I read your question incorrectly

Hmmm.. not sure what you mean, and maybe I read your question incorrectly
I was asking about if out street insurance on these old cars would cover anything that happens on the quarter mile drag strip.

No. There are track day insurance products available though. I know Hagerty offers that, and I am sure others do too. If you read your standard or collector car insurance policy you will probably find a paragraph or two specifically stating that damage to your insured vehicle at track or racing events is not covered. I know mine say that.
I wonder if this car's owner had track day insurance at Moparty last year, or if totaling out his Challenger by losing control of it while running it down the Beach Bend dragstrip was totally coming out of his pocket?

wreck.JPG

^^^^ agree with XS22
You can buy additional track coverage. Very $$ from. What I hear.

You can always find pictures of people wrecking their cars. On the street. On the track. In a field. Etc
Common sense certainly plays a large role.

Haven’t raced in 35-years. My Hagerty policy excludes coverage for racing and have no need as those days are over. Good to ask as MO, no way I’d risk my ride on a track w/o insurance. And there are requirements for safety provisions on the vehicle to check into, if you haven’t.

If you are a NHRA member or are at a NHRA or IHRA sanctioned track , Laris insurance out of Louisiana has on track insurance, We have it on our drag cars.

I had Lloyds of London Ins. thru NHRA/old IHRA Ins.
for a car that was $70k-$100k to build at that time, if you built it yourself
to about $250k was their limit at the time (or for me anyway)
on all my Pro-drag cars, it's only for catastrophic damage on track,
or my trailer burned to the ground, they don't do or deal with the lil' pissant stuff,
it was a stated value deal, you paid an X amount $$s per $1,000 coverage
w/no liability, the sanctioned track/s covered that thru their event insurances
if it was totaled, Lloyds would pay it off, no nickel & dime claims ever...
I never had a claim either...

My street/strip cars I never bothered & never did any claims
totaled or petty BS or otherwise, for anything on track or not, street racing
against my reg. carrier insurance either...
I hit the wall hard one time in Firebird Raceway/Pheonix 93-94-ish
in a 'street tires class' car, former Pro-stock car 89 IROC Z
Budnicks 89 Camaro Z28 540ci Milodon Outlaw Pro-Stock Sears Point early 90's.JPG

you had to do a 20 miles drive, then shut it off hot
& restart it & drive away
to even qualify (hardest part was getting it registered for the street)
I mangled/wadded up the front pretty bad, chute got hung up
when I got off the throttle, when it got out of shape, couldn't save it,
back in Worlds Fastest Street Car, Super Chevy Sunday shows
not enough to put in a claim...
Cost me like about $7500 to fix, a few body tree bars to fix & repaint it...
(mostly fiberglass/Harry's carbon fiber front end & radiator, hoses/lines, few mounts etc.)
I won the race/show, happened in the final round 'after the lights'
& I was back racing 2 weeks later...
Didn't win enough to pay for the damage...

There was a level especially if it had a roll bar they'd (ins. co.'s)
not even insure the car
my reg. ins. agent was pretty cool, he never cared about that stuff...

Last edited:
I was asking about if out street insurance on these old cars would cover anything that happens on the quarter mile drag strip.
Nope....if you f%%k it up racing, don't bother calling your insurance company.

If you wreck your car at the track, try and get it dragged out to the nearest highway before you report it. LOL
Dragstrips are an insurance-free zone!

I had Lloyds of London Ins. thru NHRA/old IHRA Ins.
for a car that was $70k-$100k to build at that time, if you built it yourself
to about $250k was their limit at the time (or for me anyway)
on all my Pro-drag cars, it's only for catastrophic damage on track,
or my trailer burned to the ground, they don't do or deal with the lil' pissant stuff,
it was a stated value deal, you paid an X amount $$s per $1,000 coverage
w/no liability, the sanctioned track/s covered that thru their event insurances
if it was totaled, Lloyds would pay it off, no nickel & dime claims ever...
I never had a claim either...

My street/strip cars I never bothered & never did any claims
totaled or petty BS or otherwise, for anything on track or not, street racing
against my reg. carrier insurance either...
I hit the wall hard one time in Firebird Raceway/Pheonix 93-94-ish
in a 'street tires class' car, former Pro-stock car 89 IROC Z
View attachment 1623518
you had to do a 20 miles drive, then shut it off hot
& restart it & drive away
to even qualify (hardest part was getting it registered for the street)
I mangled/wadded up the front pretty bad, chute got hung up
when I got off the throttle, when it got out of shape, couldn't save it,
back in Worlds Fastest Street Car, Super Chevy Sunday shows
not enough to put in a claim...
Cost me like about $7500 to fix, a few body tree bars to fix & repaint it...
(mostly fiberglass/Harry's carbon fiber front end & radiator, hoses/lines, few mounts etc.)
I won the race/show, happened in the final round 'after the lights'
& I was back racing 2 weeks later...
Didn't win enough to pay for the damage...

not even insure the car
not even insure the car
-—————————————————————————————————
There’s a reason your agent didn’t care Bud - He’s not the one that’s going to pay for the damage - or not pay as you’d find out. The carrier would have a whole different take ….. Lol

I've seen it done! Don't know whether it worked, though.

I have seen some funny $hit happen at the drag strip over the years. Memorable one was when parents had taken a new car out on weekend test from a local dealership. It was a new '68-'69 Caprice hardtop with a big block in it. Sonny brought it to the drags on Sunday and proceeded to race it. He ended up grenading the engine. I imagine there was a lot of "splaning" to do at the Chevy store on Monday morning!

Life's too short to worry about insurance. If you want to race your car then race it. It's a lot safer than driving on the street anyway. Only 2 cars, both heading the same direction, no one talking on a cell phone or fiddling with the radio.
I can't wait to get back to the track.
20230730_090937.jpg

One of my buddies has drag racing insurance. It's something like $5500.00 a season. It covers his car up to 120K and if he crashes into the other car (say, it was his fault) it also covers the damages to the other persons car as well.

I have seen some funny $hit happen at the drag strip over the years. Memorable one was when parents had taken a new car out on weekend test from a local dealership. It was a new '68-'69 Caprice hardtop with a big block in it. Sonny brought it to the drags on Sunday and proceeded to race it. He ended up grenading the engine. I imagine there was a lot of "splaning" to do at the Chevy store on Monday morning!
There are stories I've heard about the mid 60s when Hertz was renting Shelbies, were people would rent them and then take it to the track and race it. I wonder if any of those stories were true, I am going to guess yes.

Auto Transport Service
Back