• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drive Pinion Oil Seal Replacement

Propwash

Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
So....Noticed some gear oil under the rear pumpkin. Front drive pinion is leaking on the Coronet's 8 3/4. Rear ends are nothing I really messed around with besides pulling axles and rebuilding the brakes.

Anywho...Checked my '68 service manual and it breaks down a removal for it, but goes to list "use Tool #T75983-BFH-yf3fh0tu yadda yadda yadda....then tool #Tfj34fj3ofij...BFH for the rest.

Anyone have a simple idea how you change this seal out? I would much appreciate it.

So....Noticed some gear oil under the rear pumpkin. Front drive pinion is leaking on the Coronet's 8 3/4. Rear ends are nothing I really messed around with besides pulling axles and rebuilding the brakes.

Anywho...Checked my '68 service manual and it breaks down a removal for it, but goes to list "use Tool #T75983-BFH-yf3fh0tu yadda yadda yadda....then tool #Tfj34fj3ofij...BFH for the rest.

Anyone have a simple idea how you change this seal out? I would much appreciate it.

pull driveshaft, take big nut off pinion shaft. pull yoke. remove old seal. put silicone around the very outer edge of new seal and install in rearend. put yoke on and tighten up and istall drive shaft :hello2:

Do you have the 741, 742 case or the 489? If you have the 489 you have a little problem. The pinion bearings use a crush sleeve to maintain preload and that is adjusted by tightening the pinion nut until a rotational torque spec is met and you stop. If you over tighten the nut you will put too much preload on the bearings and they will run hot and eventually fail. If you are VERY careful and mark the nut relative the the pinion, then put the nut back exactly as you found it - or even a tiny bit tighter - you may be OK. Sometimes you can actually judge by the resistance to rotation within the back lash and get an idea of pinion drag. For the 741 and 742 just remove the yoke and tighten with tool # $#@&*(. To pop the seal out you should get a seal puller -

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=KKhiT-LRC7CMigKC7dTKCA&ved=0CF8Q8wIwBA

Thanks fella's! Much appreciated..It's a 742 case so it looks like I get to take the easy road.

Very easy to do, if ya got a impact or compressor that will loosen and tighten the nut.

Auto Transport Service
Back