• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

drive shaft help please

684door

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi, im trying to find out what kind of drive shaft i need, i have a 69 coronet, it was a 383 4 speed car, was so im trying to bring it back to what it was, I have an A833 66 to 69 b body only not b and E, its on its way, so i cant really get a good measuremement off of that, not yet. but in my book it says, 69 coronet and charger, 383 both 4 speed both took 52.07 in length and 3.00 in dia. now what exactly is 52.07 in lenght, what would work, or dose any one have one that would work, thanks

Last edited:
Take your slip yoke and bottom it out in the trans, then measure from center of the hole in the slip yoke that the joint cap is pressed into to the flat face on the end yoke that the strap kit meets to, to hold the joint in place.

Then take that measurement and the slip yoke and see your local driveline shop tell them the measurement and that you bottomed the slip yoke out in the trans.

They'll ask any other questions as per hp, your intentions of use and weight....

If you don't have the slip yoke then measure from seal to center of end yoke (face where the strap kit meets the end yoke) and how far the output shaft is beyond the seal or flush.

Its simple if you want to have one made it should be exactly 52.07" from end cap ujoint eye to end cap eye. If your car had a 727 put in it and you have the drive shaft you got with the car bolt it in. All B body cars 66 to 74 used one of two drive shafts. 727 automatic, four speed and 3 speed used one with big ujoints. Small block cars with a 904 automatic used a 3" longer shaft with a smaller ujoint.

Take your slip yoke and bottom it out in the trans, then measure from center of the hole in the slip yoke that the joint cap is pressed into to the flat face on the end yoke that the strap kit meets to, to hold the joint in place.

Then take that measurement and the slip yoke and see your local driveline shop tell them the measurement and that you bottomed the slip yoke out in the trans.

They'll ask any other questions as per hp, your intentions of use and weight....

If you don't have the slip yoke then measure from seal to center of end yoke (face where the strap kit meets the end yoke) and how far the output shaft is beyond the seal or flush.

Is that measurement taken with the car on the ground or supported by the frame?

Is that measurement taken with the car on the ground or supported by the frame?

Always measure with the suspension loaded, some suspensions un loaded have lots of forward travel.

Measuring for a driveshaft with the car in a state it is not going to be driven in can be a driveshaft that hits the floor when you finally do get it back on the floor.

I have had many trans shops with the car in the air and suspension hanging think they needed to shorten the shaft another 1.5", well that started as a $75 shorten and then resulted in a $185 re-tube (along with arguments of accusing me as doing something wrong).

So ALWAYS, always measure with the car in the position it will be working or used in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help every one, just one question, what exactly is 52.07 inches in total length thanks

.07 inches is 7/10's of an inch which is 45/64's. You have a total of 52 and 45/64's. Most machinists will know what to do in converting decimals to fractions if necessary. Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back