• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drum brake lines, master cylinder to proportioning block

JR_Charger

Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
I had these made a couple years back, as you can see one of the lines is bent wrong -

proportioning_block_brake_lines.JPG

It doesn't look good, but is there any reason why it wouldn't work? As far as looks go, I don't think anyone will see it unless they're looking for it. It's mostly hidden behind the master cylinder -

proportioning_block.JPG

I plan to switch to discs when I can afford the ones I want, after the car is running again. I don't know if these lines are different for a disc system or not. I see that the disc distribution block has a proportioning valve on the side, but otherwise appears to be the same as the drum distribution block. So the master cylinder to distribution block lines could be the same. It's going to cost me $40 to get the incorrectly bent line replaced, which would be a waste if it's functional as-is, and I'm going to replace it when switching to discs anyway. But if these lines are kept when switching to discs, than I'll fork out the $ to get a new line bent right.

Loops are for body movement and
vibration. The one that's just not
quite right, looks to be someones'
attempt to duplicate. Check the flare
on those tube ends, and you may find
differences in how they were formed.
I wouldn't worry about it too much as
long as it isn't leaking.
I've posted this pic a few times, but
the truck cab I've mounted to a tube
frame has very little flex, and brake
line loops are not necessary.
20211227_151541_HDR.jpg
We all see things on our build that
seem to our eye, to be "not quite right".
You've no worries until your front disc
conversion IMHO, then to make them pretty, is in the eye of the builder.

It's hard to tell from the pics.... but are the front brake & rear lines going to the correct locations (block to the m/c)?

Well they will be swapped at the master cylinder.

Are you referring to the new lines I have, or disc lines vs drum lines?

The new lines go to the correct ports, but one of the lines is looped in the wrong direction.

Yes I zoomed in and they do match.
They'll be fine

Auto Transport Service
Back