• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual ballast primary resistance value?

Regardless, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help. I learned and relearned a couple of things from this thread.

The single point and the Dual ballast for first (5 pin) ECU did use .5ohm at 70-80deg F for the coil. The Ballast for coil is matched to the coil spec. Service manual at least through 1978 list .5 as the spec. Have seen several with the 1.2.

Ballast is a special wire that as it heats up the resistance rises to limit current to the coil. I wonder if the 1.2 ohm style doesn't have the same temp to resistance coefficient.

The single point and the Dual ballast for first (5 pin) ECU did use .5ohm at 70-80deg F for the coil. The Ballast for coil is matched to the coil spec. Service manual at least through 1978 list .5 as the spec. Have seen several with the 1.2.

Ballast is a special wire that as it heats up the resistance rises to limit current to the coil. I wonder if the 1.2 ohm style doesn't have the same temp to resistance coefficient.
I believe that the effect is called Positive TEMPERATURE Coefficient or PTC and is typical for Nichrome (Nickel- Chrome)
wire Wound Resistors. 80%-20% is a common alloy but the percentage can vary depending upon end results needed. Just something to consider....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back