• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual snorkel air filter part number?

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
I've spent way too much time trying to figure out what air filter I need for my dual snorkel air cleaner. The car is a 1967 coronet with Edelbrock 1406 on a 440.
The Wix 42043 which is the application part number is the correct diameter, but seems to be a 1/4 too tall.
The air filter that is on the car is incorrect as it's diameter is almost 1 inch too big and it barely fits in height. I can't find a part number on the old filter anyway.
Thought the experts here would provide me with the correct part number easily. Thanks for the help.

IMG_20240127_180126327.jpg

IMG_20240127_180132106.jpg

Parts manual says 2401677 w/o CAP OR 2463985 w CAP. CAP is Cleaner Air Package.

air filter.JPG

Thanks. Looks like to get the correct ID of 11 1/16 and the OD of 12 13/16 I have only two choices.

WIX 42043 which is what 'the book' says the proper filter. This seems to be almost 1/4 inch too tall. I have a gap all around the bottom of the air cleaner. I guess this is acceptable as long as the rubber seals to the lid and base.

The other choice is WIX 42044 (which is for a 1971 Charger 440). This filter is the same ID and OD, but at a height of 2 3/4 inch is will not seal.

The filter on the car looks as if it is many years old and the rubber is starting to petrify. This filter is too big in OD and ID and fits asymmetrical on the base.

I will take the 42043 as there are no other round filters with the ID and OD that fit best.

Any other suggestions is appreciated. Take care.

Thanks. Looks like to get the correct ID of 11 1/16 and the OD of 12 13/16 I have only two choices.

WIX 42043 which is what 'the book' says the proper filter. This seems to be almost 1/4 inch too tall. I have a gap all around the bottom of the air cleaner. I guess this is acceptable as long as the rubber seals to the lid and base.

The other choice is WIX 42044 (which is for a 1971 Charger 440). This filter is the same ID and OD, but at a height of 2 3/4 inch is will not seal.

The filter on the car looks as if it is many years old and the rubber is starting to petrify. This filter is too big in OD and ID and fits asymmetrical on the base.

I will take the 42043 as there are no other round filters with the ID and OD that fit best.

Any other suggestions is appreciated. Take care.
Those listings may not always be correct. Only way to be sure is to find both filter numbers that I listed and measure. My bets are if you found the OEM filters there is a difference. It may be the 1/4 inch. Problem is aftermarket says close enough and thats what you get.

Thank you. That 42116 looks like it would work!

Well I went down to O'Reilly's and picked up a 42116. Put it on the base and it fit perfectly. Then when I placed it in the lid I got the oh duh you're an idiot feeling. The baffle panels dictate the minimum height of the air filter. So the filter that was in there wasn't even sealing properly because of the two baffles. I feel stupid, but learned a lesson.
Wix 42043 is the only filter that will work properly here. Pictures compare the baffle between the 42116 and 42043.
Thanks for helping out! Take care.

IMG_20240128_130257185.jpg

IMG_20240128_130133710.jpg

Well that makes sense now

I run the 42043 on my 1971 , but for different reasons

IMG_1789.jpeg

Well I went down to O'Reilly's and picked up a 42116. Put it on the base and it fit perfectly. Then when I placed it in the lid I got the oh duh you're an idiot feeling. The baffle panels dictate the minimum height of the air filter. So the filter that was in there wasn't even sealing properly because of the two baffles. I feel stupid, but learned a lesson.
Wix 42043 is the only filter that will work properly here. Pictures compare the baffle between the 42116 and 42043.
Thanks for helping out! Take care.

View attachment 1599918

View attachment 1599919
The dual snorkel air cleaner doesn't look like a stock unit for a non CAP 67 Coronet RT 440HP engine. Do you know year or engine the air cleaner is from?

The dual snorkel air cleaner doesn't look like a stock unit for a non CAP 67 Coronet RT 440HP engine. Do you know year or engine the air cleaner is from?
I do not know the original application for the air cleaner. That was the mystery I was trying to solve when searching for air filters.

Auto Transport Service
Back