• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dusty old dude from Texas

Dusty Dude

Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,

My wife and I are trying to turn back the clock and capture a great time we experienced shortly after we were married some 53 years ago. A few months after we were married we bought a brand new 1969 Dodge 440 Six pack Super Bee from Brookhurst Dodge in Garden Grove CA. Unfortunately neither of us had a crystal ball so we couldn't see the future so needless to say after a few short years the car went one way and we went another. It was a great time to be twenty years old and hang out every weekend at Orange County Raceway with all the old drag racing legends who would actually take time to talk to us.

Long story short, we have jumped off the deep end and bought a 69 Dodge Coronet 500 two door HT with a pretty stout 383 in it backed up with a 727 trans. It's a pretty decent car but like most fifty-four year old cars its had a lot of hands on it so as you might expect I have some work to do. Mostly just cleaning up wiring and weatherstripping and just a bunch of nit-pickin stuff. We're excited to have a bit of a project to tinker with and feel once again the excitement of having our eyeballs hit the back of our skulls once in awhile when the need for speed comes knockin'.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say I look forward to spending some quality time here and I am sure I will be able to pick up a lot of good advice and tips to help us along in our journey into the past.

Y'all take care.

Welcome from Michigan.... and another old timer:lol:

Dusty...... lets see some pictures of that beauty...:thumbsup:

Very cool...welcome from MI. Yes we need picks.

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. There's nothing wrong in turning back the clock. Enjoy your '69 Coronet. I bought a new 383 SuperBee in 1969, and my wife and I married in 1971. Almost parallel lives, Dusty. LOL

Welcome from the South, lots of us crusty ole farts here reliving the days of our youth.....you'll fit right in.....great guys here.....oh..you said dusty.....

Welcome from New Zealand.

Let's see some photos of that '69 Coronet, inside and out.

Welcome, looking forward to seeing that 500

Welcome aboard from another of your contemporaries! Looking forward to Spring and blowing the cobwebs off my dusty old Belvedere.

53 years? Newlyweds lol! Congratulations on that milestone!
Actually, I wasn't even an itch in my daddy' pants 53 years ago :lol:

Folks like you give me hope that it can still be done and I'm encouraged to hear you're still doing it:thumbsup:

Now let's see some pics of the latest journey you and your wife are on, referencing that Coronet of course.
And welcome to FBBO from NY!

Welcome and thanks for the background story. Have fun! Lots of good folks here.

Welcome from Missouri!! Nice start!
Useless Without Pics.jpg

Hello All,

My wife and I are trying to turn back the clock and capture a great time we experienced shortly after we were married some 53 years ago. A few months after we were married we bought a brand new 1969 Dodge 440 Six pack Super Bee from Brookhurst Dodge in Garden Grove CA. Unfortunately neither of us had a crystal ball so we couldn't see the future so needless to say after a few short years the car went one way and we went another. It was a great time to be twenty years old and hang out every weekend at Orange County Raceway with all the old drag racing legends who would actually take time to talk to us.

Long story short, we have jumped off the deep end and bought a 69 Dodge Coronet 500 two door HT with a pretty stout 383 in it backed up with a 727 trans. It's a pretty decent car but like most fifty-four year old cars its had a lot of hands on it so as you might expect I have some work to do. Mostly just cleaning up wiring and weatherstripping and just a bunch of nit-pickin stuff. We're excited to have a bit of a project to tinker with and feel once again the excitement of having our eyeballs hit the back of our skulls once in awhile when the need for speed comes knockin'.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say I look forward to spending some quality time here and I am sure I will be able to pick up a lot of good advice and tips to help us along in our journey into the past.

Y'all take care.
Welcome, Dusty Dude aka Mike. Y'all post some photos of your sweet ride, eh ?

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for the warm reception. This is all I have at this time for pics. I'll post more later as I move along on our new project. I'm going to replace all the wiring harnesses under the hood as I just don't want to take any chances with 54 year old wires that have lived in an oven all their lives. Someone put a complete MSD AL6 ignition system on the car (which is great) and also Vintage Air (which is also great) so you can imagine my concerns regarding the integrity of all things electrical in the engine bay. I am currently rebuilding the carb which is a Barry Grant 750 VS that is in great shape just dirty. Who ever put it on didn't do their homework as regards how to properly set one of Barry's carbs up. It was very snappy but idling waaay rich. So now pretty much just waiting on parts and trying to remember where I moved everything to in my totally too small garage!

Dodge driver side view.jpgDodge dash.jpg

Welcome aboard from Ohio. I’m 1yr younger & heading for 53yrs also. My bad timing was buying my Bee 6months before the 6-packs came out!

Welcome from the central coast of Cali. The former home state of your neighbors.:lol:
I used to attend OCIR also in the mid 70's till they closed down. Still have my lined blue OCIR jacket.

Auto Transport Service
Back