• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dyno Day - Crank vs. Wheel Numbers

HYRDGOON

Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
The shop around the corner from my house was having a Dyno Day today $50 for 3 Pulls so I thought it would be awesome to sneak down with the bird. Now I have a baseline for the changes that will be made over the winter as well as established crank numbers vs. rear wheel.

I was told what to expect in driveline loss so I'm not disappointed but actually pretty happy with the results. I always hate the horsepower wars conversation because I believe too many people over estimate what their cars make at the wheels and too many people just throw numbers around based on their upgrades.

Overall approximate 25% loss through the drive train (I was told to expect up to 30%) A 454 Chevelle went right before me and put down 310 to the wheels.

Here's the 2 sets of results the numbers at the crank when the crate was built by CME as well as the numbers from today and a video.

Crank: Peak 527 HP 659 Torq
Wheels: Peak 401 hp 486 Torq

Cheers!

View attachment 279033

September.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDFGjDK3sN0

Last edited:
Nice numbers and it sounds great! Everyone also forgets about adding the mufflers as most don't run them on the engine dyno. Great job!

Thanks HemiRunner. The other guy running the dyno said he felt his driver (I wasn't in the car) was letting off a bit early as it was still gaining but like I said I'm really happy with the numbers and now I have the baseline to see what is gained with the ProCharger and new fuel ignition set-up next year as well as going through a T56 not the A833.

Boy does that sound familiar Goon ! ! ! !

Love it ! ! !

wait, was that a 250 GTO in the stall next to you, Goon?

Formula wise, 415 rwhp would be? @ the crank?

wait, was that a 250 GTO in the stall next to you, Goon?

You got it but it's just a well done Kit Car. Apparently these kits were so accurate Ferrari sued the manufacturer and most were destroyed (as I was told)

Formula wise, 415 rwhp would be? @ the crank?

I was told look for 25 - 30% for parasitic loss so the same 25% I lost would put you about 550ish at the crank? I've seen some people post formulas up there but haven't seen any of them proven

I also heard that different brands of dyno's will produce different HP numbers.

That's true we were running a dyno jet and our rwd vehicle power losses were between 11-18. Automatics taking the greater hits in power loss.

[video]https://youtu.be/NwOE7uaDhbs[/video]
This is where it really counts.

[video]https://youtu.be/NwOE7uaDhbs[/video]
This is where it really counts.

That's awesome! I wondered when we would get the view from your cam

I also heard that different brands of dyno's will produce different HP numbers.

I've heard the same thing but also heard Dynojet's are pretty consistent among their brand

The shop around the corner from my house was having a Dyno Day today $50 for 3 Pulls so I thought it would be awesome to sneak down with the bird. Now I have a baseline for the changes that will be made over the winter as well as established crank numbers vs. rear wheel.

I was told what to expect in driveline loss so I'm not disappointed but actually pretty happy with the results. I always hate the horsepower wars conversation because I believe too many people over estimate what their cars make at the wheels and too many people just throw numbers around based on their upgrades.

Overall approximate 25% loss through the drive train (I was told to expect up to 30%) A 454 Chevelle went right before me and put down 310 to the wheels.

Here's the 2 sets of results the numbers at the crank when the crate was built by CME as well as the numbers from today and a video.

Crank: Peak 527 HP 659 Torq
Wheels: Peak 401 hp 486 Torq

Cheers!

Nice numbers Goon - Power to the Mopar!

We have been having a Dyno Day in Billings MT for the past 4-5 years, it has gotten to be quite a competition. My car only made 377WHP but I know my car was running pretty rich and my rev limiter was set to 5400, so there might be a little more there, no big deal to me. It was a blast to see all the hotrod activity.

It has become quite insane the WHP numbers people are putting down, there were tons of 450-500+WHP cars, all supercharged or turbo'd. Pretty impressive. There was a freakin Honda FWD car that made 632WHP... to the Front Wheels, haha, the dude almost won the power adder class... Crazy!

People tend to talk out of their arse when it comes to hp numbers.
Loaded chassis dynos 'mustang dyno' will always show a lot less and that makes some people talk bad of the results when in reality...they are great if you just do the math, but most don't and or completely over estimate the results sometimes basing it on a similar combo they have themselves...cause lord knows they version makes a zillion hp and runs 9's to grocery store..

great numbers, hope you had a blast.

Never done a chassis dyno on my cars. Engine numbers and running before installing, is mandatory.

Really if someone wants to know what their hp is they should take it to 4 or 5 different chassis dynos and average between all of them. May not be 100% accurate but hey at least you'll know what it roughly makes.

Auto Transport Service
Back