• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E body outer door handles uneven

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
I asked over in FEBO but nobody knows.

I know more people participate on this forum and also own or have owned an E body. So, here's my problem.

The outer door handles are uneven with the lick face due to the collapsed rubber bumper under the lift latch. I checked the interwebs for the bumpers to no avail.

The hole in the door handles is .165"-.169". What's left of my old bumper is .145" tall by .375" diameter with the tail that inserts into the whole a bit larger than the hole.

Where can I buy 2 of these?

Or, what did you do to fix yours?

Thanks

Picture? Do you think maybe a fuel door bumpers could work? Just curious.

Picture? Do you think maybe a fuel door bumpers could work? Just curious.
IDK. Do you have the dimensions/measurements?
IMG_20211206_221133008.jpg IMG_20211206_221120918.jpg IMG_20211206_221730692.jpg IMG_20211206_221244696.jpg IMG_20211206_221708950.jpg IMG_20211206_221656878_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Assuming everyone knows the difference between Cuda challenger and hermaphrodite ?

Thread the hole. Glue a thin piece of rubber to the head of a flat screw and file it down to fit. There is no specific rubber bumper . It is such a minor item that you will just have to be creative. Or buy some new door handles. They are not very expensive at all and the rubbers will last another 40 years.

You could machine those bumpers from a black engineering plastic and glue them in.
You could then "customise" the thickness to get the handle to sit were you want it.
That stuff is tough and would never break down.
A compatible glue would have to be sourced.

Most people don't know that Challenger and Cuda door handles are different, although they will bolt in and function. Cuda door handles are crowned to follow the contour of the door, and Challenger door handles curve out at the bottom to follow the curved out body contour.

True. The first few years of production, Chrysler Corp used different handle because of the doors profile differences.
Later to simplify inventory and lower costs they just went to the flat, Barracuda style door handle on both the Barracuda and the Challenger after that. And if you bought a replacement handle over the counter from your Dodge/Plymouth dealer you would get the same handles from then on after old inventories ran out

What are the repopped handles using for rubber bumpers?

Someone has to be making them, right?

A door handle bumper is not a service item that would be sold retail. The people that reproduce the handle assembly probably make their own Like buying hinge rebuilding parts from me. I have them made to rebuild customers hinges, not for resale.

Those type of parts are sold to the repop companies in lots of 100's to 1,000's at a time depending on the part. Not a retail item.

They probably just found a rubber bumper already produced for some other purpose and used it on the new door handles.

BTW, Detroit Muscle Technologies reproduce many small parts. They are a small operation and could use our help identifying parts with factory part numbers. You may have noticed in some item descriptions a request for part numbers.

They've spent hundreds of hours combing through parts manuals for the corresponding part numbers to thousands of tiny parts. But need help identifying some of those they reproduce.

You can call or email them if you want.

These are injection molded parts. Molds/dies for these machines cost thousands of dollars. Your best bet if you insist on dong this for an old part is to find something close. Drill the mounting hole to match the rubber piece and the file down the height to fit. You must have a lot of time on your hands...

Check with Stephan at SF Restorations.

[email protected]

Did you check with Stephan yet? He took over for Jules the Wiperman. I had a set of Challenger handles restored by them years ago and all of the wear items, including those bumpers, were replaced with new.

Did you check with Stephan yet? He took over for Jules the Wiperman. I had a set of Challenger handles restored by them years ago and all of the wear items, including those bumpers, were replaced with new.
Not yet.

Thanks

I ordered a complete Body Bumper Kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies (DMT) BBK7W and found this bumper in the kit will work for the door handles. It fits snug in the hole but is maybe .030" too tall. I will install them and order replacements for the kit. They will probably compress enough over time to align the top of the handle to the lock surface.

CHR2218683_A_67-76_B_62-66_E_70-74_GLOVE_BOX_2000__34775.1638032758.jpg

Mopar Bumper 70-76 Glove Box 2218683

Item Description

DMT 1pc glove box bumper

1973 73 1974 74 1975 75 1976 76 Dart, Dart Sport, Demon, Duster, Scamp, Swinger, Valiant

1970 70 1971 71 1972 72 1973 73 1974 74 AAR, Barracuda, Challenger, Cuda, TA

Also fits........

1984-1985 Dodge 600, Aries, Charger, Omni, Rampage

1984-1989 Fifth Avenue, Diplomat

2001-2003 Caravan, Town & Country, Voyager

2006-2008 Pacifica

Very distinctive pointy shape - as show in picture .35"T x .33"DIA - fits .187" hole

Duplicated from NOS samples.

Mopar part# 2218683

Material
Firm EPDM rubber bumpers like OEM

Mopar Bumper 70-76 Glove Box 2218683 - Detroit Muscle Technologies, LLC

Auto Transport Service
Back