• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Earnhardt's 1975 Charger

Jim_Stacy_Charger_gold_rims.jpg

That is an interesting rim on the Jim Stacy car.

KK_Insurance.jpeg

I love the stance of the NASCAR racers.

Stud_Charger.jpeg

Street_Charger.jpeg

Yesterday I read a comment by a guy who was so happy he'd been able to grow up, get a good job, and build his dream Civic.

low-testosterone-soy-boy.png

How did we get from "Stud Chargers" to "Dream Civics?"

Those 1/16 cars have 73/74 C pillars and 71 hidden headlights.

Never noticed that before.

Those 1/16 cars have 73/74 C pillars and 71 hidden headlights.

Never noticed that before.

20180720_170020.jpg

43713422315_ebc288e9b6_b.jpg

These may have some chrome or paint on them, but they look the same.

Maybe the 72 had a "one year only" grill -

225528_Front_3-4_Web.jpg.png

Dale was a Mopar guy way back when. He was actually the test driver for Chrysler’s direct-connection Kit Car program. He’s behind the wheel here in the pre production Challenger before they decided to go with the A body sheet metal.
C160F4FB-18EA-432F-AD9B-9C18021B029B.jpeg

Here’s the same car from a 2015 auction.
2D9EE926-5D23-4E1F-BDED-9FDD07614A35.jpeg
85DAF897-08D2-4AD4-911B-07A010BEA776.jpeg

Couple more pix. One of an A body kit.
B4B28EFF-B043-46BC-88EB-EF72C48C2361.jpeg
E021D8AC-8643-4D20-BF45-4EEC8BA457A1.jpeg

Dale was a Mopar guy way back when. He was actually the test driver for Chrysler’s direct-connection Kit Car program. He’s behind the wheel here in the pre production Challenger before they decided to go with the A body sheet metal.View attachment 1420538
Here’s the same car from a 2015 auction.View attachment 1420539View attachment 1420541
Couple more pix. One of an A body kit.View attachment 1420542View attachment 1420543
Those are amazing pics. I love the Challenger stock cars. I never knew they were part of the kit car program, or that Earnhardt was either.

Jim Vandiver's Hemi 74 Charger is for sale on eBay right now. The price actually seems reasonable, especially if you are a fanatic of 3rd generation Charger race cars. You could not rebuild a clone of it for the same money.

1974 Dodge Charger | eBay

Dale was a Mopar guy way back when. He was actually the test driver for Chrysler’s direct-connection Kit Car program. He’s behind the wheel here in the pre production Challenger before they decided to go with the A body sheet metal.
View attachment 1420539

There's that rim again. It's like a slotted mag, but it's different than the ones I have.

Last edited:
The thing is that the 2nd gen is a work of art, unburdened by aerodynamic concerns. The 3rd gen has some visual awkwardness which I believe comes from putting aerodynamics before style. No one is going to look at the 2nd gen's rear window treatment and the 3rd gen's, and call the 3rd gen's a visual improvement. But if you look at how smoothly the roof transitions into the rear deck, it has to be close to perfect aerodynamically-

537977526.jpg

The 3rd gen also introduced the laid back windshield, the rounded transition from the windshield/a pillars into the roof, windshield wipers hidden under the hood, semi-recessed door handles. The hidden gas cap is pretty sweet, it's just not as cool as the exposed gas cap on the 2nd gen. 3rd gen doesn't have a filler neck going through the trunk though (too bad 73 and 74 had a hump for the vapor recovery tank in the trunk).

Not sure how many 2nd gens had head rests or seat belts, or when safety glass came in.

I've never heard anyone say they built a 3rd gen because it is a better driver's car, but apparently the improvements were appreciated in 71 -

I'm looking forward to seeing what the 3rd gen is like with modern aftermarket suspension, steering, tires and brakes -

I've seen it said a couple times that modern hot hatches are faster than the supercars of the 90's, and improvements in tire technology are the biggest reason why. So how good can a 3rd gen Charger be? Surely it's a step above that 4 door Coronet, with the shorter and wider chassis and the better driving position. The Charger may not crash as well as a modern car (although there's a whole Smart car worth of car between the driver and the front bumper), but the thin A pillars of the Charger are a major win in the visibility department. Thick A pillars suck!

The 3rd gen may be the most unappreciated performance car with a racing pedigree of all time. I don't know Fords and Chevies, but only one car made the greatest NASCAR driver into "The King." And also raced at Le Mans, and continues to be drag raced to this day. I don't know why it isn't more valued. It's only crime is that the 2nd gen Charger is better looking. The 3rd gen isn't bad looking - it's great if set up right. It just isn't as good looking as the car that is generally considered the best looking muscle car.

cragar_ss_35803cb888f_hd_1971-dodge-charger-super-bee.jpg

cragar_ss_3113133-1973-dodge-charger-std-c.jpg

cragar_ss_hdrp_sema_2006_13_z+1971_dodge_charger+side_view.jpg

Look how sexy that thing is!

The older challenger was obviously almost prepped like a race car. How about a stock 70 challenger vs a stock late model challenger, or prep the late model challenger like the one in the YT video. Give the late model challenger suspension, and driveline upgrades, and i think the outcome would be different. Not hating on the 70 challenger, but make the cars equal. Might as well compare a stock mustang against a nascar mustang. Love the 70 satellite more door ran faster than a bmw on their course. Always liked the look of the 70 b body mopars. Great sounding stroked 400.

Last edited:
You could put the same motor in both Challengers . . .

How much improvement is there to be made in the new Challenger's suspension?

At the end of the day the old Challenger should have a huge weight advantage, but I'd rather crash in the new one.

You could put the same motor in both Challengers . . .

How much improvement is there to be made in the new Challenger's suspension?

At the end of the day the old Challenger should have a huge weight advantage, but I'd rather crash in the new one.
I'm sure the people at hotchkis could dial in a late model challenger suspension.

What I'm saying is, if there's an 80% gain to be had in the old Challenger, there's only a 10% gain to be had in the new Challenger, which is already tuned for modern tires.

I don't dislike the new Challenger, which is unquestionably one of the more successful cars of the last couple decades.

Auto Transport Service
Back