• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ease of Removing Lift Off Hood

They’re not that bad, I typically set mine on a folding harbor freight stand around the garage. I glued foam blocks to the bottom for setting it on the roof (that’s a bitch by yourself). I have 2 cars with lift off hoods. I now hate working in cars that have hoods on hinges.. lol

IMG_7082.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your ideas and techniques used on removing your hoods. I agree in that technique is the name of the game vs just using back muscles. Have a good weekend.

I have only had the hood off of mine one time at a local show and it was for two other A12 owners to look at mine. We just put mine on the roof since mine is a vinyl top car.

Thank you, not since I retired. I will make extra copies of stuff I build for myself and offer it to the hobby for a reduced fee, but I only have so much time and so many projects to get too, I really don't want to get back into business. Sorry for the convoluted response.

No problem. I had the feeling that wasn't the work of a newbie.

These A12's are great and I always thought it would be great to own one. The one thing that has held me back is the thought of removing the hood and re-installing the same by myself and not damaging anything. When us guys approach our mid-sixties and our backs aren't what they used to be that has to be a consideration. Then when you are at the shows what do you do with it especially on a windy day. I don't care to see them placed on the roof of the car as that IMO is just inviting another potential problem. I am curious what the A12 owners in this forum do with their hoods and if they know of any sure fire way to easily get them off and on by themselves.
Removing alone is not a big deal. Front edge against your waist, then both hand into the opening and pull toward you. I always have 2 saw horses ready at home to lay it on. Or, I place it on my lawn. It is more manageable that you think. At shows, believe me, some one there is ALWAYS ready to help remove the hood and prop it onto the prop rods. Who doesn't want to see a Six Pack, 6 BBL?
Do NOT let the removal stop you from owning an A12.

Auto Transport Service
Back