• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastwood Contour SCT tool

roadrunner57

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
I did a quick search on this and did not see any posts. So I am asking if anyone has used this tool for striping and sanding and was it worth it? Are there any other tools on the market comparable to it?

Thanks!!!!

I have not used it but like you have looked at it. I suspect that it probably works to some degree but is not the gift to paint and body guys Eastwood would like you to think it is. What has stopped me from buying one is the cost of the drums, I typically use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with flap wheels which I go through fairly regularly but I can buy locally. My thought is that if I bought one of these I would exhaust the drums and then go back to the angle grinder, meaning it would be a waste of money in the long run.

I won one at Carlisle a couple of years ago, but haven't used it yet. There was an episode on JDM Classics where they used it to strip some Japanese car with thin metal, and it seemed to do a nice job, and left a nice finish for paint. I would think the more paint on the car the more drums you would go through, and they aren't cheap.

Thanks for above comments.
I was getting ready to post the identical question(s) and came across this
I see a few Chinese imitations and am surprised other vendors (Milwaukee, Makita etc) have not got into the business.
I agree regarding current cost for the machine and drums - would have thought other imitators would have jumped in, creating competition and lower prices (similar to computers, cell phones etc)

I bought one of these:

I haven't used it yet, but it seems well made.

I've bought a lot of tools from Eastwood and Harbor Freight.

It seems to me that a lot of things Eastwood sells are the very same thing that HF sells, except a different color, with a higher price.

Last edited:
Bad Chad used one, took the paint off without heating up the metal. I don’t know where I saw it, but somebody used it on stainless steel. It could have been a DeLorean I think.

FWIW ....I copied this from the website ....looks very similar to a 3M finish as far as stripping goes....so I would be keen to give this a go. I was chastised for using regular sanding discs originally.....they tend to break the 'seal' of the metal more so than just tearing off the paint layers. That's what I was told anyway - and I eventually had the car dipped in an alkaline solution, which saved a ton of work later. :thumbsup:

• Time savings alone make this a valuable tool. Considering my one Saturday a week that I can devote to my car, this would save me many weekends on my restoration.
  • The tool is easy to use, and despite its heaviness, is not too tiring because of the handle’s position. Horizontal surfaces also are ideal because the tool weight rests on the sanding surface.
  • The gradual start of the drum rotation was smart because it prevented initial overly aggressive sanding when starting.
  • As expected due to the size of the tool, tight areas where the tool cannot reach such as dents, edges and embossed body lines will have to be sanded using other methods.
  • Use of the appropriate sanding drum saves time and wear on the drum. I recommend all the drum accessories.
  • As expected, the wide sanding drum puts out plenty of sanding particles so please wear eye and breathing (respirator) protection. Also ear protection is encouraged as the sound levels are high when sanding.
  • Electric powered means I loved not having to use my air compressor!
  • Changing the drum is quick and easy with one reverse threaded bolt, and took maybe 20 seconds. Swapping sanding bands took slightly longer but was still very easy and can be changed without removing the drum.
  • One quirk: if I angled the sander such as when I sanded the hood edge, the motor’s fan would blow into my face.
  • With all of the above testing, the stripping wheel and all the sanding bands still have the majority of material left. The metal finishing drum lost a little over half its material and is close to needing a replacement. Considering I sanded the Model T Ford body, two hoods, a trunk lid, and random parts of three vehicles, I was impressed.
Would I Buy This Tool?

Ultimately, we all want to know if the tool provides value and worth to be a part of our tool kit. The answer is yes. Time savings alone versus the many hours of using other methods for rust and paint removal makes this tool a must have. While one cannot expect 100% removal of a vehicle’s paint due to the various surfaces and edges of the project, it removes enough so quickly that you will gain more Saturdays to work on the next steps of your restoration. Well done Eastwood!

Bad Chad used one, took the paint off without heating up the metal. I don’t know where I saw it, but somebody used it on stainless steel. It could have been a DeLorean I think.
1658734681942.png

:lol:

I bought one of these:

[/URL]

I haven't used it yet, but it seems well made.

I've bought a lot of tools from Eastwood and Harbor Freight.

It seems to me that a lot of things Eastwood sells are the very same thing that HF sells, except a different color, with a higher price.
I bought that one too a couple weeks ago. It works pretty good, I am impressed. I believe you can purchase the drums from Amazon and cheaper too. I started stripping a fender and it is pretty fast too. It is not as good as chemical stripping, but a lot better than sanding disks, etc. Now to get my butt in gear and finish what I started.

Auto Transport Service
Back