• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eau de Mouse Piss

I have a driver Charger 500 that sat for many years and is heavily perfumed by mouse piss. Really, I have nearly no sense of smell but I can hardly stand it. I replaced the carpets, cleaned the nests out of the seats, and scrubbed down the floor pan. The worst of it seems to be in the headliner. It's so bad that the entire garage reeks! This car is in line for a restoration, but it won't be until others in front of it are finished... (several years). In the meantime, I would like to keep the mouse piss car intact as a driver and be able to enjoy it...... meaning: I do not want to rip out the headliner until the car is painted and a new one goes in.

I would live to hear of any solutions that people have been used to neutralize that smell!
Had a 69 road runner with same problem. Put coffee grounds in women's nylon and hung under dash.

Coffee grounds work good. When we would bring a plane in the hangar for a heavy visit they stripped the cabin of everything. When you pull the floor covering up inside the lavs the smell would knock a buzzard off of a gut wagon. The techs in the cabin would take coffee grounds from the galleys and just spread it all over the floor after pulling up the covering and the smell would go away pretty quick.

Coffee........ Is it absorbing the smell or overpowering it? The smell is 100% coming from the headliner, so I don't see it NOT travelling past my nose when being absorbed by the coffee under the dash. Still, I appreciate the suggestion and may give it a try if everything else fails.

I take it that you don't recommend brewing the coffee later?

Interesting thread for me as I also am driving an old Charger for a daily, she has sat for 34 years with mouse piss I thought I had it cleaned up good until now the summer heat is brewing up that same smell so gotta do something but no intention of restoring car for a few years. I realize you have to remove the pissed on items like carpet seats headliner to do it right but that would ruin the daily driver part so any of the items listed above that can spray on or sprinkle on might do it enough to tolerate it with some added air fresheners. Some good ideas listed here, thanks.

Coffee........ Is it absorbing the smell or overpowering it? The smell is 100% coming from the headliner, so I don't see it NOT travelling past my nose when being absorbed by the coffee under the dash. Still, I appreciate the suggestion and may give it a try if everything else fails.

I take it that you don't recommend brewing the coffee later?
I think it does both. As soon as they put it down it overpowered the smell and they would leave it down for a few hours and the smell would be gone when they cleaned it up. Try just spreading some in a baking pan and setting it in the car and leave it for a while. Buy some cheap (as if anything's cheap now) from a discount store to try.

It's in the headliner and insulation. Might even be in the glovebox, heater, and firewall insulation.
It's entirely possible to repaint a car and not bother the headliner, though; I've done it several times.
bounce dryer sheets

I mix a box of baking soda, a cup of laundry scent booster crystals, and a cup of carpet powder(in your choice of aroma) together & put it in the round plastic containers from leftover KFC sides & cut wide slits in the lids. Put em under the seats & on the rear floor. They work great on our camper to rid the musty smell from the PO. You can find everything at the dollar store, even some containers if you want. Worth a shot but doubt anything will eliminate the smell till the headliner is removed.

Best advice is to use a ozone machine, you can purchase one on the jungle website, it will cost you over a hundred dollars but well worth it. Used car dealers use them a lot to remove the smell of cigarette nicotine and any other odors. Mouse urine falls in that category, it's a good investment since it has multiple uses around the home to remove any odors.

Well, I thought I'd report back: I used Pure Ayre Pet Deodorizer with works "using natural enzymes". I sprayed the entire surface, and 360 degrees around up inside where mice have eaten through (3 locations). The smell is 80%+ better, and it did not stain the black headliner. I can stand to drive it now and you are not hit with the stench when entering the garage anymore.

I figure I'll give it another round pf Pure Ayre in a week or so, add some type of coffee or other absorber, a green tree deodorizer of course.... and that will get me by. I appriciate all the suggestions.

One time, a friend put up a whole forest of the green pine-scented "trees" from his rear-view mirror. I think the smell of a dozen odor-eater trees was worse than the initial smell of the rodents! One is good. Twelve is definitely overkill! LOL!

Auto Transport Service
Back