• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay seller gripe

sam dupont

Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
My saved searches keep sending me Chevy parts for my Dodge. These ******** are doing this to spam searches.

Manufacturer Part Number:
1964-1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-1970-1963-1962, 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964, 1915 1916 1917 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925, 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935, Fender Hood Trunk Deck Lid Quarter Panel Patch, Engine Transmission Big Small Block BBC SBC, Impala Belair 150 210 Fleetline Styleline Deluxe, Chevele Chevy II Nova Caprice Camaro Corvette, GS Skylark Riviera GTO Lemans Tempest Bonneville, 88 98 F85 442 Cutlass W-30 2+2 Eldorado, Coupe Deville Mustang Torino Cougar Falcon Galaxie, Fairlane Ranchero Thunderbird T-Bird Comet, Monterey XR7 SCJ CJ 428 429 Continental Mark, Belvedere Cuda Barracuda Fury Challenger RT, Charger Coronet Lancer Valiant Duster, A B C E Body Platform Satellite

Improvements! Whoever is running ebay is dumb as a brick about cars and parts. In stores you walk by something and say I need that. Car parts who buys things of no relevance to what your looking for. I looked through ebay everyday, no more.

head2.JPG

Last edited:
What model Dakota you have? What size engine? Is it a 4x4 or 2WD? It's for a set of wiper blades...

Improvements! Whoever is running ebay is dumb as a brick about cars and parts. In stores you walk by something and say I need that. Car parts who buys things of no relevance to what your looking for. I looked through ebay everyday, no more.

View attachment 1322315

run (into the ground) by know-nothing millennials

It has become so tedious to sort through the garbage while looking for parts that I no longer bother with Ebay. They have really ruined the format for anyone looking for specific items.

What model Dakota you have? What size engine? Is it a 4x4 or 2WD? It's for a set of wiper blades...

This is no joke .. went to auto parts store a week ago for some wheel studs for my '69 RR and the guy asked me if it was two or four wheel drive - maybe not entirely his fault, he was just answering the questions on the computer screen !!

So job requirements have boiled down to: a) can you hear b) can you speak (broken english acceptable) c) can you read d) can you type (one finger acceptable). And people wonder why most jobs these days only pay minimum wage !!

That’s basically key word spamming and it’s against eBay’s rules.
I used to report these ads but it seems eBay no longer cares.

My search was: 1966 Charger. This guy wanted me to buy his C10 Chevy dash piece. I understand the go-getter philosophy, but does he really believe a Dodge searcher is going to need his dash part? Does eBay not understand that I'm not going to buy his dash part and it uses up the time I have to find Dodge parts? Less looking, less buying, less profits for stockholders. Wish I had a monopoly.

I have a search for a front bumper and the only hits eBay sends me are steering wheel knobs. Then I think: There have been no bumpers listed since the last time I looked? When I look, there have been bumpers, but I got no notices for them, just the knobs.

Today ordering some parts for my mower and as seems usual ordering other stuff more often now, the search unloads tons more than just the search. Enter the brand, model, and part #...doesn’t matter. Endless ‘hits’ arrive for **** for other brands plus unrelated parts. Then the product description won’t always tell ya IF the part IS the part wanted. Says “Part is compatible with”… every other brand of mower than the one I have. Look further among the parts to finally locate the part I actually need. Sometimes it’s fine, but more complicated than necessary. Yeah, same **** with fleabay. Likely has to do with the massive paid ad networks automatically hyperlinking to be popped in front of buyers on the screen. It’s probably going to get worse like ebay has.

Reminds me of going through drive-thru windows at Mac’s years ago when ordering a coffee or Coke, then asking if I’d like fries with it. No, if I wanted fries…I’d ask. Seems they stopped doing this.

I found a lot of good used trim and parts for my 67 GTX 20 years ago on EBay. Now trying to search for anything on it is just a waste of time. Any search for parts seems to bring up mostly bolt, screw and accessory clip ads, or worse yet, totally unrelated parts.Trying to find anything specific is frustrating. I usually Google what I’m looking for and if it brings up an EBay ad for it I’ll maybe order it. But with the tax and shipping anymore, not many good deals on EBay.

On your next eBay search try this (if looking for .... a mirror for a '69 Charger)

In the search window use quotation marks "mirror 1969 Charger" follow that with -chevrolet(spacebar) -ford(spacebar) -(anything else you want to exclude from those a-hooooles that use key word spam)

It should look like this "mirror 1969 Charger" -chevrolet -ford -(fill in the blank)

Also use the drop-down 'condition' box and click on "used", if searching for used factory items.

I've given up reporting ANYTHING to the powers that be there. They don't care about us private sellers any longer.

Ebay also removed the ability to search parts for a range of years.

That totally ruined my saved searches for car parts, and now instead of 1966-1979 Chrysler power window parts I get modern stuff.

Ebay also removed the ability to search parts for a range of years.

That totally ruined my saved searches for car parts, and now instead of 1966-1979 Chrysler power window parts I get modern stuff.
That function still works for me. If I search for "road runner + 1970" I'll get plenty of hits for that year.

There used to be a menu driven engine that compiled the results.

Now you have to use boolean math in the search window.

I've got a few searches that have 20 "minuses" in them in order to weed out a few things.

12.9 ******* percent fee on a sale.
$350 part only for money to be held up over a week and get $304 of that is a little ridiculous.
Just wish there were more well-known sites to deal through that reached such a big user base that sleazebay does but the trouble is they've been around pretty much since the beginning of all the online buying/selling and that's all most people know. Another too big to fail company that can get away with whatever they shove down their users' throats because there's just not that many other options.

12.9 ******* percent fee on a sale.

Well a good piece of that was the tax your government wants collected on sales.

People should be keeping this in mind. On any normal retail transaction the buyer pays the tax on top of the retail price. And the seller submits that tax to the government.

So as a seller you should be stating in your auction that the appropriate % of tax will be added onto the sale price. Then when Ebay deducts the tax you'll be left with the sale price less "sellers fees" only.

People should be keeping this in mind. On any normal retail transaction the buyer pays the tax on top of the retail price. And the seller submits that tax to the government.

So as a seller you should be stating in your auction that the appropriate % of tax will be added onto the sale price. Then when Ebay deducts the tax you'll be left with the sale price less "sellers fees" only.
Yea I wasn't even thinking to do that. Normally I'll just ask a little bit more on there to make up any difference but had no idea the fee was that high, thought it was 3% last time I looked instead of 12.9. I was mainly only looking to get back what I paid for that particular part but ended up losing $50. Oh well. Guess that's why I see parts listed on there that are $100-$200-$300 more than what I've seen them go for on here for instance. These learning lessons are starting to add up lol!

The 12.9% is all ebays fees. Buyer pays their state sales tax.

Ebays new fees do not include the sales tax. That is added on to the sellers bill. 12.9% fee for what you sell, and get this, also 12.9% for what you pay for the shipping. And on top of that, they do hold your money for several days now before you can get access to it. I quit selling on there 2 years ago and will never go back. Total greed.

Auto Transport Service
Back