• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay seller gripe

Were the Ebay fees 10% before they took over payments from paypal ? What Pisses me off is the Seller has to pay the fees on Sales Tax Too ! They also sneak in a fee when you sell to out of country buyers. But Yes Ebay Sucks !

Were the Ebay fees 10% before they took over payments from paypal ? What Pisses me off is the Seller has to pay the fees on Sales Tax Too ! They also sneak in a fee when you sell to out of country buyers. But Yes Ebay Sucks !
Whatever the % fee one pays, you also get to pay that same fee not only for the shipping cost but also on the sales tax they charge the buyer

Nope.

Applicable state tax is added to purchase price (for buyer) after the sale is complete.

That 12.9% is only the base fee for selling. Add another 5-10% if you want to promote your listing so it isn't buried five pages deep in the buyer's search.

Nope.

Applicable state tax is added to purchase price (for buyer) after the sale is complete.
Are you referring to what I said about sales tax? I sell about $500000 on Ebay, they charge the seller the same % fee on all monies collected from buyer. So when a buyer has $40 in sales tax I get to pay a 14% fee on that amount also.
Another thing you have to watch, your total sales on your 1099 includes the state tax and shipping that was collected so you must deduct those at tax time

Tax on the buyers end is broken out.

I don't think that money ever goes to the seller.

If it did, the seller would be responsible for paying the buyers state tax.

That doesn't sound right.

Tax on the buyers end is broken out.

I don't think that money ever goes to the seller.

If it did, the seller would be responsible for paying the buyers state tax.

That doesn't sound right.
The money does not come to me, ebay pays the states. I pay what ever % fee on all money collected by ebay. plus the 30 cent final value fee. Here I copied one of my sales summary. Sale price $435, ship $28.47, SALES TAX $38.06 total $501.53. My fee was based on the total $501.53:

Fees based on
$501.53

• Item price
    $435.00

• Shipping and handling
    $28.47

• Sales tax
    $38.06

• Fees based on

$501.53
  • Total fees for item
    • Final Value Fee
      -$55.17
      Variable percentage • eBay Motors category

Rate for $0.00 - $1,000.00
      $501.53
      11.0% =
      -$55.17
Final Value Fee
-$0.30
Per order fixed amount

Total fees
-$55.47

They do provide a service by handling taxes with 50 State Governments and that is a headache most of us don't want, but 10% probably isn't what they could get if they weren't a monopoly. Does Amazon charge the same? I wonder if businesses that are set up to pay taxes in all 50 States can opt out of that charge? Start a business handling State sales tax for eBay sellers at 5%. I bet that would be a staggering dollar amount.

Highway wobbery. That's what I say Doc. bugs bunny.JPG

Sounds like a nickel and dime junk fee.

They do provide a service by handling taxes with 50 State Governments and that is a headache most of us don't want, but 10% probably isn't what they could get if they weren't a monopoly. Does Amazon charge the same? I wonder if businesses that are set up to pay taxes in all 50 States can opt out of that charge? Start a business handling State sales tax for eBay sellers at 5%. I bet that would be a staggering dollar amount.

True but they are required by law. I don't have to collect for out of state unless I exceed $20k to that state.
I use to collect for my state only and it was a pain to have to pay them each qtr now i don't since Ebay does it for all 50 states by law. It's almost worth the fee.
I just think it's wrong for Ebay to collect a fee on the sales tax. Basically, they are collecting for any money transaction

Amazon contacted me a couple times if i wanted to sell there, so i asked what their fee was, way higher then Ebay so **** them.

I have to collect state/county tax and submit to the state monthly.

PITA.

Don’t forget the 1099 you will get at the end of the year… So figure another 15-20%.

Auto Transport Service
Back