• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ECP radiator thoughts

Paul73

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
So I got my 69 roadrunner 440 4 speed put on the road recently and I drove it to school today for the first time and I was on the highway and I got stuck in sit still traffic and my engine got up to about 220 so I pulled over and shut it off and waited for the traffic to die down a bit before I got rolling again. Before I did any driving I changed the coolant and put a new water pump on it and when I got home I let it cool and popped the cap open and the coolant looked like dirt water. I’m running a stock 22” inch radiator and I’m pretty sure it’s shot. It clearly has rust in it and I’m not fixing it… I was looking at some new radiators and I’m trying to find one that isn’t crazy expensive like a Glenn ray unit. I was thinking about getting one from engineered cooling products. I have never heard of them but their prices seem good. Has anyone ever ran one of these? If so, are they any good?

You got rust in the block. So that needs to go before you contaminate a new radiator. What thermostat, what fan and shroud are you running? Post a pic.

There’s no shroud. I’m not sure what thermostat it is but I’m pretty sure it’s been replaced because I can see fresh gasket sealer under the hose nozzle (I know, I should have replaced it anyway…) and it’s a 4 blade fan.

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1545.jpeg

Holy crap that radiator is ready to go into the fan. The missing Shroud is one of your bigger problems at low speeds.

You got rust in the block. So that needs to go before you contaminate a new radiator. What thermostat, what fan and shroud are you running? Post a pic.
Is there a way to get the rust out of the block without rebuilding the whole thing?

Yeah, not much good going on there cooling wise. I can relate actually.

I would start with some kind of cooling system flush product, run that through it, then flush the whole thing, block and all, remove the drain plugs on the block to get all the rusty crap out.

Your choice of an ECP radiator is probably good, since they are well regarded in what I read here.

Then fresh hoses and fresh coolant.

Shroud is important.

Yeah, not much good going on there cooling wise. I can relate actually.

I would start with some kind of cooling system flush product, run that through it, then flush the whole thing, block and all, remove the drain plugs on the block to get all the rusty crap out.

Your choice of an ECP radiator is probably good, since they are well regarded in what I read here.

Then fresh hoses and fresh coolant.

Shroud is important.
Noted

Thanks! Yeah I was definitely considering a 7 blade. Thanks for all the input.

If I was poor on a budget I would do the following.
1-Pull the block drains and hoses. flush the heck out of it.
2-Solder that bracket to the tank.
3-Find a shroud.
4-Run it and see what it does.

Love my ECP radiator. Solved my overheating issues. Worth every penny. Also changed my thermostat to 180* one. These fans are the real deal
03D7C1F0-C37B-4227-A461-38334DB849A0.jpeg

040E7CB9-4DE7-4608-B36A-3C1FCC85601D.jpeg

20220426_162759.jpg

What's wrong with a 4 blade fan, 22" radiator, and no shroud? Mine can idle in 100 degree heat all day long and never exceed 185 degrees. A clean engine, and a quality radiator, with proper cooling components are the keys.

View attachment 1524233
What's wrong with a 4 blade fan, 22" radiator, and no shroud? Mine can idle in 100 degree heat all day long and never exceed 185 degrees. A clean engine, and a quality radiator, with proper cooling components are the keys.

That doesn't look like a 4 blade fan to me @Jerry Hall :fool:

I have their 26" radiators in both of these cars:

IMG_3439.JPG

I have shrouds in both too along with 7 blade clutch fans.
These do not overheat. I've had the red car in 110 degree weather and it hasn't gone over 200-210.
By the way, 220 isn't a problem if you have a mix of water and anti freeze and a pressurized radiator cap. See the chart below:

Boil.jpg

A typical 16 lb cap and a 50/50 coolant mix boils over at 267 degrees. If you're at 220, you were still 47 degrees under the limit.

Auto Transport Service
Back