• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed Pink built 426 Hemi

1970gator

Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
Hello! I've been a member on the forum for a couple years but this is my first post. I bought a 426 Hemi this weekend that has a really cool story. I have my beliefs as to what kind of power I could expect, but I'd love to hear others estimates of what I should/could expect. As this is my first Hemi, I'd love to get the opinions of those who have knowledge and experience with these motors.

A quick back story for this Hemi. It is a time capsule. This engine was built by Ed Pink in 1978 for a gentleman in Southern California who had plans to put it in his Jaguar XKe. He raced the jaguar in hill climb races. However, he never installed the engine and it was never even started after the Ed Pink build. The motor was sunk in a barrel of oil in approximately 1979/80 and sat there for over 30 years. The engine looks as good today as the day Ed Pink torqued the last bolt. Judging by the dome of the pistons, I'm assuming its in the neighborhood of 12.5:1 compression. The heads have been fully ported and polished. The connecting rods have also been polished. It is my intention to reduce the motor to a streetable compression ratio and put it in my '68 Charger R/T. Any educated guesses as to what kind of HP I might expect would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hemi01.jpg

Hemi04.jpg

Hemi05.jpg

Hemi07.jpg

Hemi09.jpg

Hemi12.jpg

Hemi11.jpg

Those are very high compression pistons and will need to be changed (as you know). If that is a standard bore block I have a set of forged Venolias 4.255" bore (.005" over) at factory CR for sale. PM me if interested.

Power expectations can be all over the map but you can be sure you won't be disappointed.

welcome to FBBO, good luck with your "Ed Pink" Hemi

Oh, I'd bet that cam would be pretty ornery on the street. Maybe it makes sense to have a machinist cc the heads and give you an idea of the cam specs? Just to get an idea of your starting point.

Budnick and Tallhair, ANYTIME !!!!!!! GREAT piece of history ain't it...lololol

Hey Budnick did you grow up in that area ( South Bay Long Bch, San Pedro even South Gate) ?

- - - Updated - - -

I can ALMOST GARRUN TEE if Ed Pink did the head work ...it's been ported, polished, CC'd and relieved....an engine like this would have a build sheet....and there's a history to it SOMEWHERE.....

I can ALMOST GARRUN TEE if Ed Pink did the head work ...it's been ported, polished, CC'd and relieved....an engine like this would have a build sheet....and there's a history to it SOMEWHERE.....

Not only were the intake and exhaust ports fully ported and polished, but the combustion chamber of the heads as well as the connecting rods have been polished. As for the documented history of the engine, I have contacted Ed Pink Racing Engines about a build sheet or other documentation of the engine. They told me the records for engines of that era were all on paper and have never been made electronic. However, they do still have those records and will at their convenience try to find the documentation for the engine. I am hopeful at somepoint in the not to distant future to acquire that documentation!

Budnick and Tallhair, ANYTIME !!!!!!! GREAT piece of history ain't it...lololol

Hey Budnick did you grow up in that area ( South Bay Long Bch, San Pedro even South Gate) ?

- - - Updated - - -

No I knew/met allot of the old Long Beach Gang, in the late 70's early 80's... ED Pink - Vic Edelbrock - Keith Black - Ed Mondello - Joe Pisano etc., thru Drag & Sprint racing, other friends/racing connections & Sponsorships... Mostly being introduced by many of them by my neighbor Pete K. or the late Joe Pisano owner JP1/Venolia/Childs & Albert.... I was down there allot, getting engine & chassis parts & some work done on damaged race parts, some machine work, long before the Internet & Summit Racing, quick shipping & delivery or the likes was available, {me & my neighbors son Fritz or Pete another older Nostalgia & Drag Boat racer who introduced me to Joe} we usually Fritz or Pete & Marlene K. would make the long trek down from Concord/Pleasant Hill Ca. in the SF East Bay Area where I lived, pretty darn regularly, for race parts...

Last edited:
However, they do still have those records and will at their convenience try to find the documentation for the engine. I am hopeful at somepoint in the not to distant future to acquire that documentation!
That's gotta be exciting! Good luck.

1970gator...good deal let me know if I can be of some help....
Budnicks, I grew up in the area and era, worked for KB during the summers while in high school,
as well learning machine work from Red Vanek
(10,000rpm fame)
did a lot of hangin and finally racing Dale Armstrong at Lions a few times,(back when he owned the Union oil station on PCH and Hawthorn Blvd in Torrance. After a 6year stint with Uncle Sam , took most of what I learned out there to Lunati in the mid 70's. But I was just curious.. bet we know a few of the same people, used to run the streets in So.Gate after hours of course..lolol

Last edited:
Budnicks here's a little more info history for ya from back in the day

http://www.racingwest.com/community/focus.php/Ron+Hammel/

From Back in the day

Sorry to hi-jack the thread... Although I didn't really know him or met him, That I can remember anyway........ I knew of him & his great 10,000rpm performance products... He was an Early N20 guy... That sucks about Ron Hammel passing, 81 y/o may he rest in peace...

I had a chance to start working on the Hemi this weekend. I photographed all the various stampings on the block, and I appreciate any help you all can provide as to exactly what they mean. The first couple pics are the stampings just below the starter. I know the 'NM' is likely stamped backwards and should mean the plant where the motor was assembled. '426' is the cu. in. of the engine and the next four are the date code. However, I couldn't find how to decode the date code. Can anyone help with that? Also, what are the number following the date code? The next pic is the machined pad on the passenger side of the motor. Is this a partial VIN? The next two (2) pics are of the camshaft. I read on one of the forums that camonics did some custom grinds for Ed Pink, but I really don't know if this is a custom grind or not. The next pic is of the crankshaft and a date stamping of 4-17-78. This motor was built by Ed Pink in 1978 so I assume that this date stamp was done during that build. Beside the date stamp is a KC and an M with a circle around it. Is there any significance to those markings? The last pic is the machined pad on top of the motor. It is stamped 'WT' which I understand all the Hemi's were and meant water tested. Any information that can be provided about any of these stampings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Starter Tab Stampings:

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

Machined Pad Above Oil Pan:

IMG_7497.jpg

Camshaft:

IMG_7456.jpg

IMG_7454.jpg

Crankshaft:

IMG_7458.jpg

Machined Pad on Top of Engine:

IMG_7470.jpg