• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed (short - promise!) Story Time - "Old Pocket Knives"

I have a knife at home most wouldn't give me 50 cents for it.
It's a royal Canadian mounted police jacknife.
Probably from a souvenir shop near the border
I found it in the neighbors flower garden when I was about 5 years old.
The plastic side molding is missing on one side.

Somehow I never lost it and amazing enough I know where it is right now.
I'll post pictures when I get home.
( been working out of town far too long...)
I’ll bet, it’s the same knife my grandfather bought for me. It’s never been used.

I used to pick out Case pocket knives at flea markets and such and use them for work.
Busted a lot of blade tips off in those things, not to mention lose them often...
Then they got collectible and my fun was over. :)
I still have a few Case knives, one has a broken tip. When I was a kid, Buck knives were my dads favorite. I still have, probably five? I just realized, I’m a knife collector too!

I'm not a knife collector at all but I also have a Buck knife my Dad gave me for painting the garage when I was 13. Hopefully I never lose it.

Glad that you found them Ed!
I have several OldTimers but my problem is they are quite thick and eventually wear a hole in the pocket.
My Dad gave a small flat Buck knife which is only slightly more than 1/8 in thick, and about 2 1/2 inches long. I've carried that one for several years now, but the stainless won't hold an edge for long.
Funny thing is my Dad is still around (91), and asked if I still had that little limited edition Buck Turkey Federation knife. I said of course i still have it!
Oops, all that turkey decoration wore off years ago.

I still have my dad's pocket knife and I carry 3 knifes at work for diffrent uses. A few years ago my siblings and I were sitting at my kitchen table and I had to open a package, each brother (3) pulled out a knife. My sister pulled out 2! I don't comprehend someone not carrying one.

Times have changed some.....
I carried a scout knife every day in high school. I bought it for a dime, at one of my mom's church rummage sales. Carried it all four years. Carried it for at least two years before I found out it was a GIRLscout knife! (Do girlscouts still have knives?)

Yeah, this part of the country is where you don't ask a fella if he has a pocket knife - you just ask if you
can borrow it "a second".... :)

I have a small collection of pocket knives that I have gotten over the years. I pretty much have one on me at all times. My recent everyday carry is a small 2.5-3 lock back. That is one of the few things that I have that belonged to my brother.
I do have one old pocket knife that holds memories. It would sadden me if I lost it. It is a very basic folding pocket knife with a single 3 inch blade and flat wood sides. It was my "apple" cutter. My 2 dogs , KC and Buddy, (who both passed earlier this year) always loved it when we fed the horses. A big treat for them, their favorite actually, were the apple bits the horses dropped. After the horses were gone and they were getting on in years, we took a big walk around the property...everyday. KC would always scroung under the apple tree in the orchard for any apple the deer knocked off or had just fallen on its own. He would find one and happily trot to a shady spot in the yard by the barn . Once there he would lie down and enjoy his aple. Buddy, being a smaller dog couldnt bite the apples so I started picking one and splitting it on a fence post. I finally got smart and grabbed one of my pocket knives to cut the apples. Their favorite thing was their daily apple walk. They would do their dog thing roaming the pastures and investigating smells. They would then gather under the big apple tree ( we called it "KCs tree) where I would cut and serve them slices of apple year round. Since apples do not grow year round we went through bags of them. I would always wait until they finished wandering and sniffing. We would meet under the apple tree for their favorite snack. Years later Tilly came along and from 9 weeks old she did the same as the big dogs. I was retired by then so we took lots of daily walks. I loved spending those enjoyable days with my pups.

Sadly those treasured moments do not last, all 3 of the dogs passed in the first half of this year. We have gotten 2 others pups, but they are not into apples. Sadly, I put the knife away. When I see it in my drawer, those memories come flooding back. I am not ashamed to admit the even now, my eyes are misty.

As such, this knife means more to me than any other. I would be upset if I lost it an would search for it franically. I am just not ready to lose my last tangible item that ties me to those wonderful pups.

I apologize for the length of this post and in no way is this an attenmpt to hijack Eds original post. Just thinking about it made them alive again...in my mind.

I have a small collection of pocket knives that I have gotten over the years. I pretty much have one on me at all times. My recent everyday carry is a small 2.5-3 lock back. That is one of the few things that I have that belonged to my brother.
I do have one old pocket knife that holds memories. It would sadden me if I lost it. It is a very basic folding pocket knife with a single 3 inch blade and flat wood sides. It was my "apple" cutter. My 2 dogs , KC and Buddy, (who both passed earlier this year) always loved it when we fed the horses. A big treat for them, their favorite actually, were the apple bits the horses dropped. After the horses were gone and they were getting on in years, we took a big walk around the property...everyday. KC would always scroung under the apple tree in the orchard for any apple the deer knocked off or had just fallen on its own. He would find one and happily trot to a shady spot in the yard by the barn . Once there he would lie down and enjoy his aple. Buddy, being a smaller dog couldnt bite the apples so I started picking one and splitting it on a fence post. I finally got smart and grabbed one of my pocket knives to cut the apples. Their favorite thing was their daily apple walk. They would do their dog thing roaming the pastures and investigating smells. They would then gather under the big apple tree ( we called it "KCs tree) where I would cut and serve them slices of apple year round. Since apples do not grow year round we went through bags of them. I would always wait until they finished wandering and sniffing. We would meet under the apple tree for their favorite snack. Years later Tilly came along and from 9 weeks old she did the same as the big dogs. I was retired by then so we took lots of daily walks. I loved spending those enjoyable days with my pups.

Sadly those treasured moments do not last, all 3 of the dogs passed in the first half of this year. We have gotten 2 others pups, but they are not into apples. Sadly, I put the knife away. When I see it in my drawer, those memories come flooding back. I am not ashamed to admit the even now, my eyes are misty.

As such, this knife means more to me than any other. I would be upset if I lost it an would search for it franically. I am just not ready to lose my last tangible item that ties me to those wonderful pups.

I apologize for the length of this post and in no way is this an attenmpt to hijack Eds original post. Just thinking about it made them alive again...in my mind.
No no, not at all.
I'm very grateful you've chosen to share this, my friend - thank you!
I truly believe the biggest reason any of us are on the planet it for each other, so I'm glad you felt
you could share this with us. I felt every word of it, so thank you again. :thumbsup:

"These silly-assed little knives," I don't think so, I get it!! I have a collection of pocket knives and each one means something to me and each on tells a story. I'm glad for a happy ending here!!

Last edited:
I still have my dad's pocket knife and I carry 3 knifes at work for diffrent uses. A few years ago my siblings and I were sitting at my kitchen table and I had to open a package, each brother (3) pulled out a knife. My sister pulled out 2! I don't comprehend someone not carrying one.
Never have been much for 'stuff' being in my pockets....in fact, really don't like wearing clothing all that much either lol. Suits? Forget it. Can't even stand to wear a tie plus it's just way too hot here to wear a suit. Someone mentioned about carrying a big knife and wearing holes in the pocket....well, used to carry one like that and it did that too and even lost a couple like that. Used to carry those in my back pocket. Oh well. Yeah, I don't carry a knife much anymore but they are all over the place. There's 2 within easy reach (a gun too) at my laptop in the shop plus several in my desk in the house, night stand and end tables. Have a couple of those automatic pocket knives which I like.

Never have been much for 'stuff' being in my pockets....in fact, really don't like wearing clothing all that much either lol.
clint eastwood shiver.gif

I understand your attachment to the pocket knives and am glad to hear that you found them.
I had a similar thing happen...I have a gold chain with an Italian horn pendant from Italy that my grandparents gave me when I graduated from high school. I wear it pretty much every day. I lost it in the show field at the Mopar Nats in Indy. Took it off and set it in my hat on the decklid of my buddies Bee while I applied sunscreen. Grabbed my hat and forgot about the necklace. Didn't realize I wasn't wearing it until we got back to the hotel that night and I was absolutely sick. Spent a lot of time praying I'd find it, but had little hope.

We drove into the show with the crowd the next morning and somehow got parked in the EXACT same spot. I walked behind the car, looked down in the grass and there it was. Definitely a miracle that I found it.

I am very happy you found those pocket knives.
I have many pocket knives. I get this problem from my late grandfather. I ended up with all but one of my grandfathers knives and I will get that from my uncle when he is ready to give it up. I have them tucked safely in a gun safe. Every time I decide to carry on I worry about loosing it. I do carry his Case hatchet/knife set when I deer hunt.

I understand your attachment to the pocket knives and am glad to hear that you found them.
I had a similar thing happen...I have a gold chain with an Italian horn pendant from Italy that my grandparents gave me when I graduated from high school. I wear it pretty much every day. I lost it in the show field at the Mopar Nats in Indy. Took it off and set it in my hat on the decklid of my buddies Bee while I applied sunscreen. Grabbed my hat and forgot about the necklace. Didn't realize I wasn't wearing it until we got back to the hotel that night and I was absolutely sick. Spent a lot of time praying I'd find it, but had little hope.

We drove into the show with the crowd the next morning and somehow got parked in the EXACT same spot. I walked behind the car, looked down in the grass and there it was. Definitely a miracle that I found it.
What an awesome story - and yes, I've no doubt you were meant to find it again. :thumbsup:

I am very happy you found those pocket knives.
I have many pocket knives. I get this problem from my late grandfather. I ended up with all but one of my grandfathers knives and I will get that from my uncle when he is ready to give it up. I have them tucked safely in a gun safe. Every time I decide to carry on I worry about loosing it. I do carry his Case hatchet/knife set when I deer hunt.
Yeah, the pocket knife thing is definitely an inherited thing from previous generations I think.
Pop always had a couple of them in his pocket - never anything large or fancy, mind you -
but he always seemed have use for them.

I'll be honest with why I own several of the little rascals with broken off tips on blades here -
in my former years of inspecting fire systems, I often was dispatched to vacant buildings or to
valve rooms, all with locked doors no one ever seemed to have keys for.

A fella like me in such situations could have easily thrown up his hands and declared he couldn't
get the job done - he had justification to do so, right?
Well, it's me we're talking about here - so I became a bit "known" as quite the amateur lock picker,
hence the often-busted pocket knife blade tips. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back