• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock 2807 Top End Package, Indy Cylinder Head 440 EZ, Source 440 Stroker?

Rocketman

Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am wanting to add some reasonable HP and Torque to my 440 which has been balanced. I don't have unlimited funds and motor still has the original manifolds which do not leak.

Is the Edelbrock the smart choice?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJv3_baOobcCFcwWMgodIHoAgA

Or the Indy Cylinder Head EZ kit?

http://www.indyheads.com/images/p_pge/wedge.pdf

Or Source 440?

http://www.440source.com/strokerkits.htm

I will never go to the track unless it is just a test a tune day with some friends, I just want to make a statement a cruise ins and around town.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Does this mean you are able to get one, and only one, of the three choices because of budget restrictions? Has anything else been done to the engine other than "balanced". "Original manifolds", exhaust?

Does this mean you are able to get one, and only one, of the three choices because of budget restrictions? Has anything else been done to the engine other than "balanced". "Original manifolds", exhaust?

I will be using the money from an enclosed trailer I have a buyer for in July, just doing research now. Yes I will be able to afford some new heads, can, and intake. My car already has a 750 double pumper, original manifolds (elephant ears) 2.5 " pipe thru flowmaster 40's after thursday.

The man I bought the car from says he has quite a few receipts for the motorwork that has been done but has not come across them so I am not sure what else has been done. IMO this car does not have umph of the car in my avatar or course it was a six pack.

From the lack of information there seems to be but one viable option here. Therefore, what cylinder heads are on the car, what is your present cranking compression?

From the lack of information there seems to be but one viable option here. Therefore, what cylinder heads are on the car, what is your present cranking compression?

the heads are stock, not sure of my compression but it runs fine of pump gas which is much different than the 440 HP I had in the super bee, it would ping unless airport fuel was mixed wiht the pump gas

RocketGuy, You haven't provided enough information to make a good decision, only a best guess. I personally wouldn't build an engine with only one of the three options you have listed. I would use a combination of some of them and some parts you haven't listed. Having said that, of the three, your best, most complete option at this time, is the Edelbrock package.

RocketGuy, You haven't provided enough information to make a good decision, only a best guess. I personally wouldn't build an engine with only one of the three options you have listed. I would use a combination of some of them and some parts you haven't listed. Having said that, of the three, your best, most complete option at this time, is the Edelbrock package.

Thanks, Sorry I am not a gear head, I can do detail work and make them look nice but anything outside of changing the spark plugs, oil, or a few gaskets is beyond me. I have a local guy here that used to build Mopar dragsters, I plan to talk to him when I am ready

I hear good things about the indy ez heads, but then cost 3-4 grand and you still need more and with 440 is great option and cost is great but not a complete kit still, so as other guy said the edelbrock seams the best,

I hear good things about the indy ez heads, but then cost 3-4 grand and you still need more and with 440 is great option and cost is great but not a complete kit still, so as other guy said the edelbrock seams the best,

Yeah I was at the Indy location a few weeks ago and the EZ1 kit was 2300 and then the 440 2d intake was another 499. I still haven't made a decision. Getting ready to install a new electronic ignition, E3 plugs, wires and an MSD blaster coil to see what if any difference that will make on the stock engine.

Since this is a relatively new machine to me I have experience the kinks that comes with any new old car such as loose bolts. Lost a calibur bolt Friday that cost me some aggravation.

I have ported Indy EZ-1 heads on my stroker 440. I was told by the engine builder that they are easier to upgrade and work with than the Edelbrocks. I am happy with the Indy heads, but I would probably be just as happy if they were Edelbrocks.

I use the basic Indy EZ heads on my 493 and I use the Indy dual plane intake. But I can tell you if you decide on the Indy stuff you want to call "Dwayne Porter" as he is an Indy dealer and he gave me the best prices I could find on my EZ heads. And he is one of the best head guys there is and very nice to work with. This is Dwayne Porters phone # if you decide to call him. 802-951-1955. I would call him if you decide on the Indy stuff course you have to use whats in your budget and the other heads you listed can work good also. If you would talk to Dwayne tell him 383man told you to call him. He gave me nothing but first class service. Good luck , Ron

I have ported Indy EZ-1 heads on my stroker 440. I was told by the engine builder that they are easier to upgrade and work with than the Edelbrocks. I am happy with the Indy heads, but I would probably be just as happy if they were Edelbrocks.

I went with the Edelbrock top end kit and comp cam, rockers, and pushrods. I am super happy. I am in Indianapolis frequently and stop by Indy Cylinder head one day and did not leave with a good impression so I opted to go with Edelbrock. We didn't dyno after getting done but I am completely satisfied with the performance now.

The customer service at Indy are in need of improvement. I wonder if Edelbrock makes their heads or the other way around?

The customer service at Indy are in need of improvement. I wonder if Edelbrock makes their heads or the other way around?

I have heard the same from more then one person. I can also say the Indy guy at Carlisle was a real jerk. But they do make good heads so thats why I went to and did all my dealings with Dwayne Porter who is a first class act all the way. Its to bad many of the Indy people act like jerks sometimes. Ron

Same here with Indy!I went with edelbrock for that reason.Just because you have a good product does't mean you have to be a jerk when we are only trying to learn what good for our hobbie

I was at the same position as you when I bought my last car, and I know that in the long run I will end up buying all the bits and pieces anyway. So I went with ported heads as my first upgrade, followed by ported intake with a port match job. The following winter I got a new cam and a new intake manifold.

When I sold it it was a 370 gen3 HEMI ported to 419 cu with a f1 Procharger and nitrous... You know that you will end up there. Eventually lol.

So my advice - buy the thing that you want to have, that you know won't restrict you in the future. And yea - Indy customer support is terrible at the moment...

We installed the Edelbrock Top End Kit as shown on my son's 351w Ford.

We checked the guides and seats, used Cometic head gaskets (didn't like the ones supplied).

It turned out exactly as advertised, I like the idea if your not comfortable in parts selection. It's engineered and dyno tested, You know what your results will be.

Auto Transport Service
Back