• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock Performer Carburetor 750 CFM, Electric Choke Question

The Rebel

Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
Turns out the previous owner never hooked up the electric choke. Just wondering if I really need to hook it up now or wait till winter to fix. What are the pros/cons Also need to find a power source which I believe is 12v.

I understand that when you turn your key to 'RUN', the resistance heater begins to warm the spring and the choke slowly opens & you can adjust the opening time by turning the cap and loading or unloading the spring closing force on the choke.

Thanks in advance!
Roger

Must connect to a source only live in the "run" mode. Depending on your use, May require adjusting from summer to winter. Don't want it too rich, where raw gas washes the cylinders.

What's a good source to hook up to; From the manual:

How do I hook up my electric choke (voltage)?
The Electric choke on our Performer Series and AVS carburetors needs to be hooked to a "keyed" (while the key is in the on position) 12-volt power source, with a good ground. Verify there is no voltage when the key is in the off position. Do not connect the positive wire to the Ignition Coil, ballast resistor or Alternator.

Must connect to a source only live in the "run" mode. Depending on your use, May require adjusting from summer to winter. Don't want it too rich, where raw gas washes the cylinders.

for the power source you can get 12 Volts at the Ballast or wiper motor

Roger, the choke will stay open in summer. If it closes a little or a lot overnight, it will open very quickly when it is warm outside.

Set the caps hash mark at "2" marks rich. It should be marked lean & rich on the cap. This is the factory setting and works about best everywhere.

There is no real con to having one. Or a manual choke. Unless you leave it closed a little when warm.

Thanks!

Roger, the choke will stay open in summer. If it closes a little or a lot overnight, it will open very quickly when it is warm outside.

Set the caps hash mark at "2" marks rich. It should be marked lean & rich on the cap. This is the factory setting and works about best everywhere.

There is no real con to having one. Or a manual choke. Unless you leave it closed a little when warm.

Auto Transport Service
Back