• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Educate me please

ksurfer2

Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
In these photos, what is the piece that is covered in the piece of fabric? Water pump? Alternator?
1552iiii.jpg
1552jjjj.jpg
1552oooo.jpg 1552pppp.jpg

Electric motor to drive the water pump. Race car stuff!

You can run the pump and fan with the engine off to cool it between runs. You can leave it off while warming up the engine.

Water pump not driven from a belt from the crank.

Last edited:
AS others have said, that is an electric water pump drive motor. Owned one, did that.
You can see a small toothed pulley on the motor, and a toothed belt down to a larger pulley on the water pump.

I had one on a car in the early 80's.....still have it but didn't wrap it with anything. So, what's the idea behind that? Covering up something that's not exactly good looking or to just make people ask questions lol

I had one on a car in the early 80's.....still have it but didn't wrap it with anything. So, what's the idea behind that? Covering up something that's not exactly good looking or to just make people ask questions lol

mine road almost on top of pump so it is a cushion.

That's a moroso electric motor to drive the water pump. I have run one for 15 yrs. keep the belt loose or you'll wear the bearings out in the electric motor. I wouldn't cover it either, has a hole in the case for cooling.

mw2019.jpg

Yes, the Moroso style water pump drive. I too used that setup on my bracket cars for over 15 years. Fairly loose belt is important, cooling hole also. I always had a spare electric motor with pulley installed, just in case. Worked great.

Auto Transport Service
Back