• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric choke instillation, which wire on the ignition switch?

68 Chris

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I put a electric choke on my edelbrock 750. I am attaching the red wire from the choke to the ignition but there are 5 wires to choose from. Black, gold(yellow), dark blue, brown, and red. Any suggestions. This has been keeping me perplexed all afternoon.

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited:
I don't know the colors but all you need is one that has 12 volts when the key is on. You got a volt meter?

or hook it to power wire to voltage regulator

Bryan

I'll look at the schematic again but I was wondering if anyone has an electronic choke. I'm aware that it needs to have the constant feed of 12 volts when the key is on. What I don't know is which wire to hook it up to. There are so many that are attached to the plug on the ignition switch. Tomorrow I'll look at which one goes to the voltage regulator.

Chris

The key switched side of the ballast resistor is another common location used to connect an aftermarket electric choke.

I have a bypassed ballast and MSD ignition so I just hooked it up to my original coil + . I also hooked my small red wire from my ignition box to the original coil +.

OK, my original thought was the ignition side of the ballast resistor but I looked on Edelbrocks website and they said do not use the Coil, Ballast resistor or alternator. So I was boggled on where to hook this up. I wanted to hook it up the the fuse box but I have the original 68 fuse block and there really isn't a space for it.

Thanks! This site fatecaptured explains a lot. I agree with the ignition side of the Ballast resistor. I'm also going to look into one of the wires coming out of the bulkhead. I was screwing with the ignition switch and thinking to myself there has to be a way to keep this in the engine compartment without running this wire through the firewall. I'm helping a friend take out an engine today but as soon as I get a chance I'm going to read that whole link with my shop manual and get it hooked up. Thanks!! I appreciate the help!

Chris

not the brown!

brown feeds 12 volts just while cranking, then gets power through ballast, not full 12 volts

Blue coming from ign switch feeds full 12 volts on RUN. Not the blue running to coil on pre 70 cars, since this is spliced into brown. Blue coming from ign, which can be either on ballast or reg

Thanks Nacho! I'm hopefully going to get in the garage tomorrow and hook this up!

I appreciate all the comments! Thanks for the help!

Chris
not the brown!

brown feeds 12 volts just while cranking, then gets power through ballast, not full 12 volts

Blue coming from ign switch feeds full 12 volts on RUN. Not the blue running to coil on pre 70 cars, since this is spliced into brown. Blue coming from ign, which can be either on ballast or reg

Auto Transport Service
Back