• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric choke killing ignition!

What is the voltage at the connection point cranking and not cranking. Sounds to me like your primary voltage is dropping out from another point with high resistance.
I don't know cranking, working solo. Voltage on run side is exactly the same as the battery until I hook the choke up and then it drops 0.2/0.3 volts. I had an older 24 series battery in it and suspected it. 12.45 volts static at battery but it was running short on the number of cranks before it got low on guts running a mini starter. At the run side of the ballast it was showing 12.15 to 12.25 with choke hooked up. Showed about 6.6 volts coming out the feed to the coil.

I threw in a new 27 series, 12.85 static voltage and lots of cranking umph ! Same issue until I changed the ballast, even though it showed about 7.2 volts to coil. After changing the ballast it fires IMMEDIATELY...

Auto Transport Service
Back